Needing a new interface

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dpaterson

Re: Needing a new interface

Post by dpaterson »

Something I found which is contrary to generally accepted practice when it comes to cleaning mixer faders and, for some reason or the other, is only mentioned on the absolute fewest of websites.

Do NOT use compressed air to BLOW dust out of faders. If you take a good look at the design of a fader there is a sort of enclosed pocket at the top and at the bottom of the fader. When you BLOW into the fader then it can, and does, happen that you blow the dust into these pockets. Then to add insult to injury you add some type of lubricating switch cleaner. What you end up with is gunk at the top and bottom of the fader in these pockets and this can result in the faders not working correctly at those positions (or simply dragging the gunk back from these pockets). Best practice is to VACUUM the faders and then apply your lubricating switch cleaner or whatever your poison.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

dpaterson wrote:Something I found which is contrary to generally accepted practice when it comes to cleaning mixer faders and, for some reason or the other, is only mentioned on the absolute fewest of websites.

Do NOT use compressed air to BLOW dust out of faders. If you take a good look at the design of a fader there is a sort of enclosed pocket at the top and at the bottom of the fader. When you BLOW into the fader then it can, and does, happen that you blow the dust into these pockets. Then to add insult to injury you add some type of lubricating switch cleaner. What you end up with is gunk at the top and bottom of the fader in these pockets and this can result in the faders not working correctly at those positions (or simply dragging the gunk back from these pockets). Best practice is to VACUUM the faders and then apply your lubricating switch cleaner or whatever your poison.
I agree... and I come from an electronic background holding an extra class amateur radio license (for 40+ years), first class commercial license, worked for Cal-Tech, Space Microwave Lab, Fairchild (just to name a few), and maintaining equipment for local recording studios and sound reinforcement companies, etc.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi, a year ago I was upgrading my computer and interface. I had my computer custom built at a local computer shop. I looked at what was in computers used for music and had mine made based on that. For my interface needs, I wanted one that would allow me to go have 8 mic inputs. I wanted to be able to record a drum kit and have better options when mixing the drum sound. I chose the Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 for its features and flexibility to add more channels in the future with adat io. Second generation. The first one lasted about one month. Lights on no one home. I ended up sending it back. I purchased it through Sweetwater. I ended up getting a new one. It has been working great. The support from Sweetwater and Focusrite were great. It has low latency and no problems with drivers. I use it with ASIO. The Mic preas sound good. If you have up to date drivers and good product support you should be fine.
I chose Mixcraft for its features, and have had no problems. Mix craft has good support behind it's product.
I also use an 8 channel analog mixer, that I built from a German kit, for my keyboards, and when I want to use my outboard compressors and reverb/delay processor. I posted a picture in the topic about ' upgrading the user interface '. I use deoxit to clean the faders ocationally. I have upgraded the IC's and added channel inserts and it works fine.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

dpaterson wrote:Good Morning Mr. Behringer!!! LOL!!!

Just thought I'd let you know that... ... I am so livid I could spit.
Dale, I saw you looking this way, so I thought you might be talkin' to me. Two words of advice: Clean Living! LOL!!

Really though in all seriousness, you have gotten enough lemons for maybe a few hundred people. I know Behringer had their QC issues some years ago and many people seem reluctant to let go of the past. Based on your experience, I don't blame you one iota for your stance. I don't know when you bought your stuff,(older stuff worser?) but from what I've read, Behringer has made much progress since their early years in China and now actually own one of the most hi-tech, cutting edge and efficient factories in China. Something along the lines of you can make good stuff in China if you control the manufacturing process, sort of like Apple does, except Behringer actually owns the factory. Some of the boutique companies they have purchased, they have learned from also. Supposedly Uli has gone all in, in this direction. Today one of the industries lowest defect rates, so I've heard.

But all that being said, if I were you I might not want to hear none of it either, so you have my fellow feeling. Here's to better days ahead!! :D
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Was hoping to hear from you!!! LOL!!!

"Clean living"??? Are you kidding me??? Only thing more I could do for this mixer is keep it in an oxygen tent with filtered air or something!!! LOL!!! It's flipping ridiculous. My home studio is, for all intents and purposes, a sealed room (to save the neighbors). At best it's exposed to some cigarette smoke on a daily basis (but I do have a big ceiling fan that recirculates air in here and nothing else has packed up in here. And only one person enters here. Me. God forbid it were to end up in a club or pub!!! LOL!!!

China??? I got no issues with China. My Jacksons are made in China and they're superb so no issues there.

Anyway. Pretty much posted as a joke to relieve my frustrations and also as a bit of a "dig" at you is all!!! LOL!!! Cannot believe this thing has packed up again though. That in and of itself is a joke. Worst part is that my spare mixer, which is just the bigger model, is also a Behringer. Nothing quite like turning everything off at night wondering if you're still going to be in business the next morning or praying in the morning when you power everything up waiting in anticipation for all the lights to come on and stay on!!! LOL!!!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Power conditioner-surge protector??? :) Just saying. I have no idea what kind of (do they call it mains in your parts?) power you've got.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface