Too much bass when I add reverb

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Jim Lad

Too much bass when I add reverb

Post by Jim Lad »

I didn't figure this out until I tried one of my tracks on various CD players.
With some of them the sound is warm & pleasing with others the bass is unbearable. I think that the the problem arises from adding reverb at 100% stereo width but can't be sure. Any of you wise engineers tell me what I'm doing wrong or how to remedy this?
EQ won't work for me after the fact since it changes the whole mix.
I'll be re-doing the whole song.
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

There are a couple of ways to apply reverb without overloading the lower frequencies.

First, are you using the acoustica reverb? If so, I suggest using the Classic Reverb from Kjaerhaus Audio. I believe it is included with MC4. If not you can find it free online. Classic reverb has a lo-cut filter that will eliminate low frequencies from being processed by the verb.

Second, if you use a verb w/o a low cut you have to work around it. For one track, duplicate the track, apply verb w/ 100% wet and no dry mix. Adjust volume of this "reverb only" track to taste. For verb on the whole mix: mix down without verb, take the mixed tracks and add to original project, apply eq to eliminate low frequencies, apply verb (again at 100% wet only), adjust volume of verb only track(s) to taste.

Hope this helps!

*Vibrant Audio*
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

Thank you!
Jim Lad

Post by Jim Lad »

Very helpful, Vibrant Audio.
I tried a couple of different ways with some success.
I ended up going back to the Acoustica reverb (Default) which I really like and increasing the "Wet mix" from 10 to 15%.
Seems fine now.
Thanks!
Jim