Does Windows 10 Update Sometimes FUBAR Your System

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Does Windows 10 Update Sometimes FUBAR Your System

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well this is interesting. Theres several setting options presented here I was unable to discover previously, so I have to explore my options again.

This part eludes me. How please Dale?
Not only can I can actually read what an update is about to do before allowing it to be downloaded and installed
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Since I posted the opt-out method, I feel it necessary to add this proviso to the casual user: Because of the security concerns, DO NOT modify your PC's settings in a way that can potentially adversely affect your PC unless you adequately understand the potential ramifications of doing so and are prepared to accept the consequences.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Haar, haar. Famous last effing words!!! LOL!!!

As I said: I did my Windows updates yesterday and for some INEXPLICABLE reason (probably thinking about sample rates and bit depths) I allowed a Microsoft update for the Synaptics Touchpad on my notebook to slip through. End result I've spent the entire day trying to find out why my notebook got slow when booting up and when shutting down. Flipping mouse driver!!! And the best part: I've been deselecting that particular update for over a year. And to add insult to injury: it was just after I posted my post today (above) that I saw the problem!!! LOL!!!

If your updates are set to manual then when you are presented with the number of updates available (critical and recommended) then you click on the "critical" or "recommended" and there you are presented with the individual updates. If you then select an update from that screen you are presented with a box on the right hand side that tells you (roughly) what the update is and its release date and under all of that there is usually a link or two to Microsoft's website which will present to you in detail what the update is for and what it contains. This is for Windows 7 Pro though (but I don't see any particular reason why Windows 10 would be any different).

So. Another entire day wasted!!!

Regards,

Dale.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Regarding the last post above, we know that that user certainly doesn't fit the description of casual user, be has years of experience in the field. :) All the more reason to be cautious.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface