32bit vs 64bit VST/VSTi - Reorganization

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aj113

Re: 32bit vs 64bit VST/VSTi - Reorganization

Post by aj113 »

mixyguy2 wrote:
aj113 wrote:
mixyguy2 wrote:I think you like to way over-complicate things. :) Just put all your freaking plugins in one place. What's the point of doing otherwise?
Two places for me: 32 bit and 64 bit, otherwise I agree.
I'm curious: why?
Because many would overwrite themselves if I tried to put them in one folder since thye have the same file name, plus there is no way of telling from looking at them whether they are 32 bit or 64 bit, and that can get confusing when it comes to backing up, reinstalling, and generally moving stuff around.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Fair enough. I guess I'm wondering why install both a 32 and 64 bit version of the same plugin though, unless you're using both a 32 and 64 bit version of MC (or any other DAW)? When I'm given that option, I always just install the 64 bit.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

mixyguy2 wrote:...unless you're using both a 32 and 64 bit version of MC.
Correct. Some plugins only come in 32 bit flavour, so it's case of having to use 32-bit MC, since the internal 32-bit wrapper in 64-bit MC makes it grind to halt eventually.

I use 64 bit for video.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

since the internal 32-bit wrapper in 64-bit MC makes it grind to halt eventually.
Hmmmnnn... I've noticed this but didn't give it a second thought (I just am in the habit of savings projects OFTEN while working).

I wonder if it wouldn't be prudent to suggest that a switch is added to Mixcraft 64-bit something along the lines of "ignore 32-bit plugins" or "only load 64-bit plugins"??? True: it's not a problem IF your plugins are all neatly arranged in 32-bit and 64-bit folders (so that you can simply exclude the 32-bit plugins folders if you want). But (and has been noted on this thread I think): in some cases even the developer's default installation files are putting them in the wrong places (and I don't like mucking with the developer's default installation folders for reasons already mentioned by others on this thread).

Regards,

Dale.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Looks like it may be time for Greg to chime in again - because I'm confused a bit.

My understanding, which runs contrary to some of the things posted here recently:

1. If you have both a 32bit and a 64bit plugin for a given effect or instrument, 64bit Mixcraft will use the 64bit version and ignore the 32bit version. No need to erase the 32bit version (though there is no need for them either if you're committed to 64bit exclusively.)

2. The issue with 64bit Mixcraft getting bogged down by 32bit plugins - I thought - was not as severe as it once was. Clearly better to use 64bit when you can, but little reason to "fix" things so that there are no 32bit plugins whatsoever available.

3. It never was an issue of 64bit Mixcraft "loading" 32bit plugins - the issue was only if your project used them.

Thoughts/ comments?
Last edited by BillW on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In answer your your questions:

1. Yes.
2. Yes. It's not something to worry about unless it's causing glitching. Also, some plugins are way more "needy" than others. And by "needy" I mean they are resource hogs. I'm looking at you, Pultronic Tube EQ.
3. Yes, that's right. If you don't want to use 32-bit plugins, just don't add them to your project.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

Thanks, Greg!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

But if you only have a 32-bit version of a particular plugin or VST then 64-bit Mixcraft will present it in the list of plugins or VST’s. Only when you add the plugin or VST to a track can you see if it’s a 32-bit or a 64-bit plugin or VST. I was just suggesting to give a user the option as to whether or not to display all plugins and VST’s or only 64-bit plugins and VST’s i.e. not to exclude 32-bit plugins or VST’s totally or permanently. An alternative would be to simply group them separately in the lists. Certainly none of this crucial. Just a suggestion on something that came to mind while monitoring this thread is all.

Regards,

Dale.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Not that you would complicate things or anything...… :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

I have a variety of 32-bit VSTs in my VST folder. Never noticed an issue with any 64-bit DAW. It can't be due to clean living, but I'm not complaining.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Not that you would complicate things or anything...… :wink:
Who??? Me??? Nah. Cannot be!!! LOL!!!

By the way:

Something I noticed missing in this thread is the fact that there are/should be FOUR different folders and not only THREE i.e. somebody has forgotten about 32-bit VST3's.

My folders are:

32-bit VST3: C:\Program FIles (x86)\Common Files\VST3
32-bit DLL: C:\Program FIles (x86)\VstPlugins
64-bit VST3: C:\Program FIles\Common Files\VST3
64-bit DLL: C:\Program Files\VstPlugins

Then of course there are one or two VST2 plugins floating around ...

Regards,

Dale.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Correct about the vst3 folders. I guess four folders?

I know I forgot about vst3 and need to go back to inventory them as well. Not sure if it's worth having them in separate folders.

dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

Well those are the four folders that I use for plugins and VST's that don't come with their own installer e.g. the stuff from Hornet. I never created them though i.e. they were probably created by one or the other developer that actually "got it right". And it would seem that most of my plugins and VST's are installed in those folders (of course there are many sub-folders within those folders but as I said before: Mixcraft does a rather stellar job of picking all of these folders up). There are one or two exceptions to the rule e.g. Waves and iZtotope i.e. they do their own thing (but this is one of the reasons why I've always accepted the default installation folders for plugins and VST's that have their own installers and updaters) (updaters are also important) even although I know that sometimes they're doing things their way.

Honestly though and in spite of some negative comments: I think it's good that you embarked on this i.e. at least you know exactly where to put plugins and VST's if you have to install them manually (and particularly true of those freebies that we all tend to collect that very seldom come with their own installer).

Regards,

Dale.
Brigtr45

Post by Brigtr45 »

Hi,
Thanks to the great Sound On Sound review from July 17, I have this week bought my first ever DAW and it is Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio.

But looking through Forum posts regarding 32 bit Vs 64 bit I'm rather worried, because my copy is 32 bit.

I'm a total novice when it comes to nitty gritty subjects such as bit rates and the arguments for and against. It's all quite confusing...

Can someone please explain in layman's terms the ways in which either 32 or 64 bit will affect the work I intend to do with Pro 8, which is a broad spectrum of music covering many categories and styles.

I bought the box from a reputable software dealer who didn't ask me whether I wanted a 32 or 64 bit version. Will it matter to me as a beginner to computer recording, which bit rate I use?

My gear is -
Toshiba laptop, intel i5 2450M CPU, 2.50GhZ, 8GB RAM, 64 bit operating system. Windows 7.
Audio Interface: Steinberg UR22 MK11
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hello and welcome @Brigtr45

The difference in this context would be your system performance. Both versions sound the same.

The 64 bit version allows the use of additional system RAM over 4Gigs. Which in theory allows more plug-ins and higher track counts before system resources become an issue.
The one caveat is that some people find Mixcraft 32 bit to run smoother on their specific system when running a larger number of 32 bit plug ins. (Mixcraft 64 bit will run 32 bit plug ins and 64 bit plug ins)
And some people have a collection of older plug ins and other reasons to stick to the 32 bit versions.

Given the system specs in your signature, I would suggest selecting 64 bit upon installation and running with it.
Don't fret over it either way. You could always reinstall either or run both.
And keep in mind, much of this thread is related to Bill's limited system, not a general overall issue.

Once you gain experience using the program you may find you desire to get into third party plug ins, and when you do you will find nearly all modern/current plug ins are available in 64 bit, and its mostly older/legacy plug ins that are 32.

Let us know how your getting on and if you need any help. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page