32bit vs 64bit VST/VSTi - Reorganization

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dpaterson

Re: 32bit vs 64bit VST/VSTi - Reorganization

Post by dpaterson »

... in layman's terms ...
I think you missed that part Mr. Bliss!!! LOL!!!

My understanding of the post is that there's confusion between 32-bit and 64-bit Mixcraft and this is being confused with sample rates and bit depths???

So yeh: welcome Brigtr45.

I stand to be corrected here but I don't think Acoustica sells 32-bit and 64-bit Mixcraft seperately i.e. there is one installer and that installer will allow you to install either or both at the same time (many people here have both installed and have their own personal reasons for doing so). I say that I stand to be corrected because you've obviously purchased a retail box (which I personally have never seen) and I'm not sure if the retail boxes came in two different and seperate versions (32-bit and 64-bit). I doubt it i.e. I'd be surprised if you don't already have both versions but in one installer (and I assume you have a CD in the box).

As for sample rates and bit depths (bit depths being totally different from the above): please believe me when I say that there are many threads around here on the topic (but I'm not getting involved in this one I'm afraid i.e. see my thread, link below, and you'll understand why i.e. I've just done a veritable THESIS on this!!! LOL!!!) (and don't get bored when reading the thread i.e. it does get more interesting as you go along I assure you).

https://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewto ... =4&t=23716

Then again and to keep things simple:

It depends on (I'm getting chills as I answer this) what your intended distribution target is e.g. CD, DVD, streaming media, etc. If it's CD: record, mix, and master at 44.1kHz/32-bit IEEE Float and then convert to 44.1kHz/16-bit Integer. It it's DVD: record, mix, and master at 48kHz/32-bit IEEE Float and then convert to 48kHz/24-bit Integer. Streaming media: you need to see the specs. and requirements for the different providers e.g. Apple requires something different from YouTube who requires something different from Spotify (that type of thing anyway) (I'm no expert at all on streaming media though so cannot advise but I'm SURE some of our more knowledgeable and NICE and FRIENDLY members will contribute here now right??? LOL!!!).

Regards,

Dale.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

dpaterson wrote:
... in layman's terms ...
I think you missed that part Mr. Bliss!!! LOL!!!
Nope. Nor did I miss-
my first ever DAW
dpaterson wrote:My understanding of the post is that there's confusion between 32-bit and 64-bit Mixcraft and this is being confused with sample rates and bit depths???
Seems likely that's a leap, but I could be wrong. It happens.
dpaterson wrote:Then again and to keep things simple:
FAIL! :lol:

@Brigtr45.
If my reply wasn't clear, (or simple enough) feel free to ask more questions. We tend to hang in there and try to be helpful even though we sometimes wander off topic (a little) 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Brigtr45 wrote:Can someone please explain in layman's terms the ways in which either 32 or 64 bit will affect the work I intend to do with Pro 8, which is a broad spectrum of music covering many categories and styles.
Hi,

Just run the installer again and choose to install the 64-bit version. You can have both 32- and 64-bit Mixcraft installed at the same time to see which works best for you. As others have mentioned, 64-bit Mixcraft can access more than 4 GB of RAM. It can also load 64-bit plugins. The audio quality is the same.

32-bit Mixcraft may work more smoothly for you if you have lots of 32-bit plugins in your project. 64-bit Mixcraft may work more smoothly if you have heavy-duty plugins that need lots of RAM.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

32-bit Mixcraft may work more smoothly for you if you have lots of 32-bit plugins in your project. 64-bit Mixcraft may work more smoothly if you have heavy-duty plugins that need lots of RAM.
Let me add - no matter which one you choose, you'll be VERY happy with the main choice you made - Mixcraft!
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Brigtr45

Post by Brigtr45 »

Thanks Mark,

Your welcome comments have allayed my fears. I had already installed the program before writing my post in this forum, but don't recall if I was given the choice of selecting 32 or 64bit upon installation.

It won't matter at all while I spend my first weeks and months learning the basics and then progressing steadily onward...

I listened to some of your music on Soundcloud - very impressive!

Cheers
Bri
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Brigtr45 wrote:Thanks Mark,
You are quite welcome Bri, always glad to help!
Brigtr45 wrote:I had already installed the program before writing my post in this forum, but don't recall if I was given the choice of selecting 32 or 64bit upon installation.
It does, and as previously pointed out, you can simply re-run the installer at a later date if you desire.
Brigtr45 wrote:It won't matter at all while I spend my first weeks and months learning the basics and then progressing steadily onward...
Very good approach. There's a lot to learn.
Most people find the program very intuitive, but it is a lot to absorb.
You will find a lot of resources and links to further resources here in other areas of the forum and site. I suggest starting with the tutorial videos. Note that the topics on older versions are still great resources for getting up to speed. https://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewto ... =4&t=10807
*Theres a LOT of content there. But if you really want to get going, I suggest..... All of them! 8)

Moving on from there, an area with more to study is here-
https://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=12
I'd suggest a focus on the three top pinned threads to start.

And if you have any specific questions, start a thread and ask away. We try to be welcoming and helpful to newbies and there are no "dumb" questions. We all learn together!
Brigtr45 wrote:I listened to some of your music on Soundcloud - very impressive!
Very generous of you, thanks for listening!
Most of that is old stuff, a mixture of examples of excercises in producing, editing, mixing etc.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
BillW

Post by BillW »

By FAR the biggest feature and value of Mixcraft is this forum and the wonderful people on it!
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Brigtr45

Post by Brigtr45 »

Hi there dpaterson,

Thanks for taking time out to advise me. Such clarification from experienced users like you and the other good guys who replied to me is invaluable. Will be investigating further as I travel down the Mixcraft road...

Regards,
Bri