Mixcraft Project Folder Question

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Mixcraft Project Folder Question

Post by BillW »

I store my projects in my own folder called Mixcraft Projects under my documents directory.

I notice that in some case, I have a mx8 file under that directory. But in other cases I have a folder that has the mx8 file as well as a backup folder and a couple other files.

To my knowledge, I dont' do anything to create it as a project file under the root if the Mixcraft Projects folder vs a subfolder under the Mixcraft Projects folder.

How does that happen? What is best? How do I control it?
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft Project Folder Question

Post by Mark Bliss »

I've seen this, and its been explained before and (don't take this as flippant as is may seem) but never bothered to pay much attention to why.
I think- the only way a project file would appear without a folder is if it was MIDI only and had no additional files? Maybe? Havent seen anything like that in a long time. Create a folder. Name it. Put it in there.
I dunno. It works one way by default, I habitually create my own project folder anyway. But you don't have to.

Keep in mind, I collaborate on songs and projects fairly regularly and have all kinds of files to keep track of. Keeping it straight can be difficult if you don't keep it simple. Its critical for me.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
BillW

Post by BillW »

What is curious is that there are no backups for the projects that are in the root of the main project folder. A bit concerning in that this should be automatic.

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:lol:
You'll just have to laugh with me on this point Bill.
I have used Mixcraft for almost 7 years I think? Since v4.5 anyway.

Not only have I NEVER used one of those back up files, I have often been guilty of just deleting them because their very existence annoys me......
Knock on wood! (NOT recommended BTW!) :lol:

Again, the creation (or not) of them has been explained in the past, but I am guilty of not paying much attention.

@Greg will likely chime in tomorrow.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Hi,

To address both points raised.
The backups occur every time a file is re-saved (there is an option to turn it off in the preferences).
Personally when I first save a file I just save two new files Filename 1a then Filename 1b, due to the fact that Mixcraft buries the first one in a sub-folder that makes it impossible for me to find anything (due to the fact that all my projects get saved to the 'Mixcraft Projects 5' folder that the program created years ago and trying to navigate my memory of the number of different things I start working on was impossible when everything was in a different folder, i.e. I couldn't even remember what it was I was looking for in the first place, and that was years ago).
I find all that necessary as when I scroll down the folder in the 'open project' menu window I can have everything listed chronologically or by name (and all that is to do with Windows File Explorer, not Mixcraft)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hmmmnnn...

I've noticed the same thing as BillW. My projects are also found in a different (my own) folder. I just delete the Mixcraft "self appointed" folder. But it is annoying to be honest. Wasn't going to make a "song and a dance" about it (no pun intended) but now that it's been brought up I may as well!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.
BillW

Post by BillW »

So to summarize - I think - the question is

No matter what folder we choose to use to save our projects -
why does Mixcraft sometimes put it in the root of that folder, and other times automatically create a subfolder.

RElated question - what triggers an automatic backup?

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Recent versions of Mixcraft create a backup project file each time you save. (As Ian pointed out, you can turn this off in preferences, but you might come to regret that decision if you somehow end up with a corrupted project file).

As to why you sometimes find a stray project file? My guess is that you used the "Save As" option on the file menu, which doesn't create a new project folder.

As I always mention, use "Copy Project Files to..." from the File menu if you want to put your project in a new folder. Save As might be more appropriate for people who want to save a variation of the current project without duplicating all of its files.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101