Drum Pad - Advise on which sounds to map

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Drum Pad - Advise on which sounds to map

Post by BillW »

OK - tough to say what I want in a brief subject.

And seemingly impossible to Google.

I have an Akai mini keyboard with 8 pads. I know how to map drum sounds to them. I also know how to switch to a different set of sounds.

I'm a decent drummer by tapping - so I'd really like to use the pads instead of what I do now (a hybrid of using the keys and editing/entering in the piano roll)

BUT - what is a good way to map them? Certainly there are suggestions.

Example. there are two rows of 4. The top row could be the rack toms and a ride cymbal and a crash. The bottom could be the hat snare kick and floor tom. That's what I'm going to start with.

But - is there a better way? What about setting up a second set of sounds (and third, fourth etc)

I realize it's a matter of taste - but I'm really surprised I can't find any suggestions on the internet.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Mark Bliss

Re: Drum Pad - Advise on which sounds to map

Post by Mark Bliss »

For me, and my suggestion-
Kick, snare and hat wherever is most comfortable feeling for you to start with. From there, experiment. easy enough to change or even make multiple templates for different styles/uses. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Bil, what model Akai do you have and what do/don't you like about it? I'm in the market :)

Back to the topic: probably isn't much on the internet because as you say it's all personal taste. I figure I'll start with the setup you mentioned. As Mark said, I'd just try diff combos and see what works.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Mixguy -
I have the akai mpk mini mkii
Two octaves only (swichable of course)
Small joystick for pitch bends
Pads and controller knobs

Works great for me since I don't play naturally. It's more that I enter notes and fix it later in the piano roll

(Several people have asked for the option of entering notes with a midi keyboard rather than having to play and keep up. Maybe some day?)

Because it's so small it sits on my desk rather than having to put it away and bring it out.

Nice home office / home studio decoration

But seeing the pads -"taunts" me because I know I should just experiment with assignments

Just need the time

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Shoot, well thx anyway. I'm looking for more of a full keyboard. g/l on the pad thing!
BillW

Post by BillW »

I made some progress on this. And I see (I guess) why I can't find recommendations

Fiirst there is the search issue. Any reasonable search brings up "how to assign pads" rather than "what to assign them to for effective finger drumming"

Second, it is a matter of taste

Thirdt, Eight is Not Enough (despite the tv show title) Modern set up has 3 rack toms, 2 floor, 4 crash. And then rim vs regular tom or snare. Ride regular, punch, bell.

That said, I realized there isn't one best way. Depends on what drums/cymbals would be used for that section. (Duh. Logic - what a concept)

So I quickly discovered two different setups that work for most purposes.

From that I can see two more that would be needed to fill in

And then make sure the rest sit in maybe two more to be used for fills or accents

Yes, personal choice. But still surprised with billions of articles there is no advice on effective finger drumming pad assignments

Maybe next time I search it, it will take me here!

mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Stuff like this is causing me to consider getting an "e drum" kit. :)
BillW

Post by BillW »

My daughter wanted to get one for me. No good place to put it though and the cheaper ones have an annoying latency issue

Or did when last I tried one several years ago