More than two inputs?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kr236rk

More than two inputs?

Post by kr236rk »

Hi,

Am using a stereo stomp box which takes up the two jack inputs on my M-Audio FastTrack interface. There is an 'ultra' version of this interface which has more inputs, but will that allow me to plug multiple cables into those 3 to 4 of the 1/4" jacks please? There are more inputs on the rear of this device. Currently I am limited to 2 unless I use a T-Junction splitter adaptor, & those can introduce unwanted electronic noise I have found.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/m- ... rack-ultra

There is a FastTrack forum but its 'captcha' isn't working - error message for the site - so I can't hook up with it.

Thanks.
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

http://www.reverbnation.com/rickemper
dpaterson

Re: More than two inputs?

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

Would love to help and advise but don't really understand the question(s).

I'll give it a try though ...

From what I gather you have an M-Audio FastTrack interface with limited (I assume only two) inputs and there is an M-Audio FastTrack ULTRA interface that has more inputs (took a look and it apparently has six analog inputs although I'd question this i.e. probably only four useable at one time). First thing: it appears that these are pretty old interfaces i.e. in trying to help you here I could not find anybody that's still selling them (nobody with stock anyway) so I don't know where you're going to get your hands on the ULTRA version. Second thing: in just looking at the ULTRA version you'll note a switch that says "Front/Rear" next to each of the four inputs on the front. This tells me that you can use EITHER the front inputs or the rear inputs but not both (at the same time). Third thing: from what I have seen though you are correct i.e. you would be able to use two inputs for your stomp box and the other two for other inputs (mics. for example) (but this is, as noted, assuming you can still buy the ULTRA version) (and given what I've seen even if you find somebody with stock I'd not do that because it appears to be a discontinued/legacy product).

Regards,

Dale.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Thanks, 'new' devices pop up & disappear like mushrooms these days :-o What are my practicable options here please?

The theoretical set-up is:-

a guitar going through a stereo pedal board with 2 outs - to Left and Right - connected by an A/B channel switcher to a second board with a mono/stereo out. So I'm looking at an interface with a minimum of 4 inputs which Mixcraft 7/8 will recognise as separate channels.

Am running Windows 10.
Ric

M-Audio USB interface, MC8, MC10, Yamahas 102c analogue mixer, Windows 10 QuadCore [upgrade], USB EWI, Alesis Q25 Midi keyboard, stomp boxes, drum pads, guitars, dynamic mic, condenser mic

dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

Well I can only advise you based on what I use and that's a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 which has enough inputs for sure (but be warned that it has the grand total of only two analog outs despite what the specs. say and for this reason and this reason only I'd advise you to go for the Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre USB instead). But many seem very happy with the Behringer UMC404HD and M-Audio has a new product called the M-Track 8X4M. All of the aforementioned have enough inputs (four at least).

Regards,

Dale.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

dpaterson wrote:Many seem very happy with the Behringer UMC404HD and M-Audio has a new product called the M-Track 8X4M. All of the aforementioned have enough inputs (four at least).
Thanks Dale - I'd go for the 8x4M because M-Track is a known quantity to me. I've also realised I can patch four jacks to my mixer but that's going to get me single stereo outputs to a single stereo channel, instead of separate Left and Right channels for individual guitars.
Ric

dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

My pleasure.

And NOW I understand i.e. TWO guitars!!! (Sorry: I'm a bit slow these days for some reason).

Yeh. I have the same thing i.e. mixers with loads of inputs but all reduced down to a single stereo track via the USB interface so I don't even bother anymore.

My original (and first) audio interface was an M-Audio 2X2M. This new release looks identical. Just has loads more inputs and outputs. And as I'm sure you know: they're well built. My only issue was that my interface powered down if left to idle for a while and when you came back to the PC (like after making a cup of coffee of something) everything was messed up (like the buffers had disappeared) and I'd always have to restart Mixcraft or reboot to get started again. I actually have (had) two of them and same thing so it wasn't a faulty unit. And it wasn't power settings either as I checked those. I think M-Audio is on a drive to save the planet i.e. my M-Audio monitors do the exact same thing (power down after being idle for a while)!!! LOL!!! Oh and at first I battled with latency but with hindsight I think that was me and not the audio interface(s). Oh and the M-Audio interface(s) interfered with my guitar wireless system i.e. had to change channels on the wireless system when they were in use. But other than that: no issues really (nothing that could not be worked around anyway). And there are updated M-Audio drivers now too. So yeh: I think you'll be good to go. Let us know if you get that interface and what it's like (sure does look nice).

Regards,

Dale.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Thanks Dale,

My idea was to use an ambient pedal board then switch to a non-ambient board - on the fly - in the same song, using an A/B box. I lose a lot of ambience by having the left & rights from that board channelled into a single stereo channel, so you can see where multiple inputs start to come in.

Started out on the M-Audio 'FastTrack USB' which was not built to last, lightweight plus the dials started to fizz after a couple of years. M-Audio M-Track II is a vast improvement, but only two inputs.

I do have a problem with beginning new projects - recording. I can patch instruments to Windows 10 via interface and hear them monitored, but there will be no recording signal in Mixcraft 7. I close MC7, unplug the M-Track, plug it in again. Then I reopen MC7 and I have a recording signal. I don't know what the problem is? On my 'rough set-up' something similar happens on Windows 7, the pc boots, M-Track lights up, then the lights go out. I unplug M-Track, plug it back into the pc again, then it works as normal.

Oh, and I stopped using synth keyboards, too much hassle, now use non-midi, line-in keyboards.

Apart from that it's fine, love to try analogue but no-one services that gear anymore - the future is digital ;)
Ric

dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello again.

With regard to the M-Track 2x2M then: it is well built. No question about that. And that new one is the exact same design so you shouldn't have any issue.

The issues with your current M-Track: has it always operated this way (with the problems) or is this something new that's just started???

Regards,

Dale.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Thanks. I've got 2 M-Tracks on 2 pc's, Win10 DAW and Win7 'rough ideas' pc. The Win7 always powers up like that, after 30 seconds the M-Track lights go out (= no sound card) then I unplug & replug it, then all is fine.

The Win10 only started 'not seeing' recording input a couple of months ago, so I gave it the same plug treatment - after going through the Preferences tab & checking everything else.

Two slightly different issues but after pulling and replugging the M-Track sound card / interface, everything works fine.

Greg suggested trying a different usb socket when I had a Win10 issue previously but the action of un- and replugging seems to shake the issue, but it always comes back after you shut down & boot up again.

No idea what's going on. :?
Ric

dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

Well I suppose the obvious (and easy) answer would be to say it's either the unit or the driver or, in the case of Windows 10, one of those "creators update" (whatever that means i.e. I don't have Windows 10 but those updates seem to cause many issues). I did a little look around on the Internet for you and there does seem to be a fair number of issues (not your issue though) that are driver related, Windows interrupt sharing, and some others. Only other thing that comes to mind (at it's REALLY a long shot): try disabling (or enabling if it's already disabled) that setting in Mixcraft "Notify Me When Audio or MIDI Devices Are Added Or Removed" (under the General option in Preferences). Like I said: a long shot but who knows. And of course you could try my all favorite trick of resetting Mixcraft's audio to factory defaults and maybe even resetting the whole of Mixcraft to factory defaults. Who knows. But hey: if you're gonna get that new fancy M-Audio interface then why bother (and at the moment: at least you know how to get it working i.e. I'd hate for you to follow any advice I give and then the whole thing goes "tilt" permanently and you cannot work until your new interface arrives!!! LOL!!!).

Regards,

Dale.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Thanks,

Am wary of taking further steps while everything is more or less working okay. This is the drawback with digital technology it is 'fractal' not absolute like analogue gear, but analogue gear has to be serviced by engineers and that stratum no longer exists on the High Street.

Before I look at a new, improved interface I need to get my hands on a A/B Box, all I'm working on at the moment is a theory that two separate pedal boards could be used on the fly, I don't know how that would work out in practical terms yet.

Will update as & when ;)
Ric

dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

Dunno if the below is something that would help. I have one as I run my amps. in stereo.

http://www.radialeng.com/product/bigshot-aby/

Regards,

Dale.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

Got my eye on one of these ;)

https://www.ehx.com/products/switchblade-plus
Ric

dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Sure looks good to me.

Took a look at their site. They seem to have some "interesting" (psychedelic???) guitar pedals!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.
kr236rk

Post by kr236rk »

dpaterson wrote:Sure looks good to me.

Took a look at their site. They seem to have some "interesting" (psychedelic???) guitar pedals!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.
<3 pedals! ;)

Can't do (studio) swells through an amp though - too noisy, I plug direct to the interface for that. This is the pedal I mostly use for ambient swells. https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/q-82 ... -large.jpg
Ric