Mic for mac

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Scythe

Mic for mac

Post by Scythe »

Hey guys - a little off topic but I need advice.
I livestream regularly on Facebook and usually start the stream with some live music - 2 voices and instrument.
The native mic on our mac laptop is RUBBISH!
it can only take 2 'sound sources' at a time (2 people speaking is fine) and starts to cut out or do weird things as soon as 3 sources of sound come in (2 voices singing + guitar)

Do you think an external mic attached to it like a RodeMicro would make a difference and give us clearer sound?

ty
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mic for mac

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, an external mic would probably help, if you choose the right microphone.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Hi Greg - does any particular mic come to your mind for this purpose?
Thanks
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Are you using an audio interface to record into Mixcraft? If it has mic preamps, then any decent quality mic(s) with XLR jacks will work nicely.

If you don't (and are getting by with just a sound card), then you should look into an audio interface that can handle the I/O you need. There are lots of articles online that advise equipment for podcasts/music recording.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Hi - no I have a really cool home studio setup already so that's not the issue :)
I wanted to ask about mics that enhance sound when you're Livestreaming on Facebook :)
ty for your response tho
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Scythe wrote:Hi - no I have a really cool home studio setup already so that's not the issue :)
I wanted to ask about mics that enhance sound when you're Livestreaming on Facebook :)
ty for your response tho
My point was that a home studio setup is what you need for livestreaming, and instead of thinking of the two things as separate/different, you likely already have the tools and just need to make a few adjustmusts to accomodate livestreaming.
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

I had thought of that but the palaver needed to get it all sorted would be a pain...because I'm not using my own computer for the live...someone else's mac.
Will do some reserach into it tho ty :)
shayneoneill

Post by shayneoneill »

Theres some respectably decent USB Condensor mics on the market these days that combine a condensor thats tuned for voices and the like and a small preamp and USB interface. Might be worth investigating. Blue usually make good quality in this regards.

edit: https://www.bluedesigns.com/products/yeti/
Scythe

Post by Scythe »

Thanks! :)
went with Shure MV5 in the end - really good buy...recommend to anyone in a similar situation
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Scythe wrote:The native mic on our mac laptop is RUBBISH!
All mics on all laptops are rubbish. So are the so-called speakers. Anything external would be a huge improvement. Glad you found one you liked.