Vocal Recording Tricks

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aj113

Re: Vocal Recording Tricks

Post by aj113 »

TheHound wrote:I'm a purist snob and that's why I won't use a harmonizer or auto tune. :lol: I think harmonizers sound fake and I like the nuances of another voice.
Everything about recording audio is fake. You're kidding yourself if think otherwise.
I would use a harmonizer on single note instruments live and maybe very very sparingly on live vocals.
Wait - so when you say you won't use a harmoniser, what you really mean is, you will use a harmonizer.
As to pitch, I would simply re-sing the track. If a singer can't hold pitch then they should not sing until they can
. If you have to do a re-take because you sang out of tune the first time, then by your own definition you should not be singing.
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

aj113 wrote:
TheHound wrote:I'm a purist snob and that's why I won't use a harmonizer or auto tune. :lol: I think harmonizers sound fake and I like the nuances of another voice.
Everything about recording audio is fake. You're kidding yourself if think otherwise.
I would use a harmonizer on single note instruments live and maybe very very sparingly on live vocals.
Wait - so when you say you won't use a harmoniser, what you really mean is, you will use a harmonizer.
As to pitch, I would simply re-sing the track. If a singer can't hold pitch then they should not sing until they can
. If you have to do a re-take because you sang out of tune the first time, then by your own definition you should not be singing.
That's some clever and deliciously dishonest trolling. Are you still working for Russia?

Jerry Lee Lewis recorded all his music in one take. That's fake? Van Halen recorded 2 track live. That's fake? There is a lot of fake and sterile music today that I'm sure you would enjoy. You probably would hate Joe Bonamassa's live recording because they sound every bit as great as his studio work and I understand that. Maybe you would do better listening to Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj and that genius Kanye. Dontcha just love his beats? I bet the beats he steals were done on FL Studio. :lol:

I can actually play and write music with those obsolete things called notes. I would not use a harmonizer on vocals because it sounds like crap but then again, there are some people with hearing damage who can't tell the difference but I don't compose for them. I have used octave dividers and guitar pedals that enhance harmonics. (octave is the interval between one musical pitch and another with half or double its frequency) Do you understand what an octave, pitch, frequency and interval mean? It's something musicians know about so probably not.

Some singers get it right on the first take and sometimes I do as well. Others do more than one take and decide which one is best. So, when you said, "If you have to do a re-take because you sang out of tune the first time, then by your own definition you should not be singing." You were dishonest. People who can sing well often record more than one track. People who can't sing rap or rely on pitch correction like Bobby Brown. Pitch corrected vocals sound like crap and that is why truly talented and practiced singers e.g. Beth Hart, Celine Dion, Steven Tyler, Ceelo Green won't use it.

Is recording fake? It's fake if the artist can't do it reasonably close live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBk65sxUB6w&t=14s I did it all on Mixcraft.

You are a skillful troll. Is this what set you off?
aj113

Post by aj113 »

TheHound wrote:Jerry Lee Lewis recorded all his music in one take. That's fake? Van Halen recorded 2 track live. That's fake?
All recording is 'fake'. The second you touch an eq or a compressor it becomes fake. Evn the use of a microphone transforms the sound into something it never was. The sound coming out of the monitors is only a vague representation of the orignal source. For example, the bass guitar you are hearing took a 100 watt amp and 15-inch speaker to create at source - it couldn't possibly be an accurate reproduction when you're talking about a 20 watt amp and a 5-inch speaker.

My point being you identify vocal pitching and vocal harmonising as 'fake', and then in order to maintain your worldview, you conveniently ignore the fact that all of the recording process is 'fake' to a greater or lesser degree. That, my friend, is intellectual dishonesty.
Do you understand what an octave, pitch, frequency and interval mean? It's something musicians know about so probably not.
I have a first class honours degree in music production, a small part of which required passing Grade 8 music theory. I play two instruments, I am also a professional sound engineer. Look man, if you want a pissing contest, take it elsewhere. My comments were serious, and aimed at the type of people who walk into my studio with a warped sense of reality, and delusions of their own importance and uniqueness - of which you are clearly one.
Some singers get it right on the first take and sometimes I do as well.
It depends on your definition of 'right', and how low your standards are. In thirty years I have never recorded anyone who got it 'right' on the first take - or on any take for that matter.
So, when you said, "If you have to do a re-take because you sang out of tune the first time, then by your own definition you should not be singing." You were dishonest.
WTF are you talking about? You said "If a singer can't hold pitch then they should not sing until they can" and then went on to concede that you struggle to maintain pitch on occasion. Are you magically exempt from your own rules?
e.g. Beth Hart, Celine Dion, Steven Tyler, Ceelo Green won't use it.
You literally have no idea what you are talking about.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Ian Craig wrote:
TheHound wrote:That's often my approach. Sadly, my singing is not what it once was. I need to sing more and get my chops back.
I recorded this at the weekend, it has vocals, not too many words but is over 10 minutes long (it's an early version)
I recorded the vocals with a condenser microphone with phantom power switched on the focusrite scarlet 18|8 v1,
then pre-cleaned in iZotope RX6 i.e manually removed breath sounds and used spectral denoising (though that wasn't really necessary).
I used McDSP ML4000 I think for a bit of compression/limiting/maximisation,
then re-imported it to Mixcraft.
I chopped it up a bit into 2 tracks in a sub-mix,
with FX
(1) MUnison (to multiply the vocals),
(2) MSpectralDelay (having just spent around a day creating presets for it) &
(3) Abstract Chamber (Reverb). Simple really :lol:
https://iancraig1.bandcamp.com/track/li ... -version-1
I had to fix the link there, sorry
Not going to join in the fray here but thanks to somebody resurrecting this thread I happened to listen to your "Living Conditions" track Mr. Craig. Very very nice. Needs some serious electric guitar of course!!! LOL!!! I'm thinking a Pink Floyd type trip??? LOL!!!

Don't worry. Not gonna mess with it. As I said: very nice.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

dpaterson wrote:Not going to join in the fray here but thanks to somebody resurrecting this thread I happened to listen to your "Living Conditions" track Mr. Craig. Very very nice. Needs some serious electric guitar of course!!! LOL!!! I'm thinking a Pink Floyd type trip??? LOL!!!
Thanks Dale :D If you want to mess around with my stuff, feel free, I have the originals so if I don't like the result I could always ignore it :wink:
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

aj113 wrote:All recording is 'fake'.
Alternative Facts, Fake News, Fake Music, etc. :roll: :lol: :wink:
Last edited by jlouvar on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

jlouvar wrote:
aj113 wrote:All recording is 'fake'.
Alternative Facts, Fake News, Fake Music, etc. :roll: :lol: :wink:

All recording is fake. All of everything that is perceived at all is subjective (& conditioned), not objective. ...
"Living conditions,
us to except (i.e. everything in general)
Living conditions,
us to except,
living conditions"
(Me, November 2018.)
8)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

By the time sound reaches your ear from witch it was originally generated it's altered, so everything you hear is fake. :lol: :wink:
- Joe -

dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Ian Craig wrote:
dpaterson wrote:Not going to join in the fray here but thanks to somebody resurrecting this thread I happened to listen to your "Living Conditions" track Mr. Craig. Very very nice. Needs some serious electric guitar of course!!! LOL!!! I'm thinking a Pink Floyd type trip??? LOL!!!
Thanks Dale :D If you want to mess around with my stuff, feel free, I have the originals so if I don't like the result I could always ignore it :wink:
Hmmmnnn... Come to think of it I never did finish that intro. that I was banging on about some time ago. A lot has happened since then: not least of which is a vast improvement in my guitar tone, recording techniques, and playing prowess. Maybe now would indeed be a good time to haul it out (from a backup) and complete it. That sure was good stuff of yours.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

dpaterson wrote:
...Not going to join in the fray here...
Good for you Dale. But wait a minute...isn't that a band from Denver? :)
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Afternoon,

All recording is not fake! I happen to know that all of my VSTi instruments are played by thousands of microscopic Oompa Loompas that live inside my audio interface!

-N
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Fake post.
Fake views. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Frosted flakes are great.
- Joe -

GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

jlouvar wrote:Frosted flakes are great.
Mark did not say flakes he said post, as in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7FOTBdbPN8

Wait a minute, what was this post about? :?
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Vocal recording tricks/tips until it got derailed into bbq potatoe chips... Yummy. :wink:
- Joe -