Saving 31 Band EQ presets

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BanjoGuy55

Saving 31 Band EQ presets

Post by BanjoGuy55 »

I've created some custom presets in the Acoustica 31 Band Pro EQ VST and would like to back them up on a flash drive to use with another computer. However, I have no idea where the presets are being saved. I did find a pair of cryptic files in the Users folder with .preset and .presets extensions and the date/time of my last save, but the file name is a long series of letters. When I try to manually load a preset, it looks for a .fxb file. How do I make one of those? Can't seem to find any info.

Thanks in advance for some guidance.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Saving 31 Band EQ presets

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

They are stored here:

%AppData%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\FX

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BanjoGuy55

Post by BanjoGuy55 »

That's where I found them previously, but with a file name that was a long series of letters, along with a long list of other preset files. I copied the most recent file to a flash drive, renamed it to something I'd remember, and added it to the FX folder of my PC running the previous version of Mixcraft. It did show up, but is there no way to actually save a preset file that you can name and then load as needed?

Again, if I try to load a preset file in the EQ plugin, it will only accept an .fxb file. I don't see any of those anywhere on my hard drive. Where do those come from? Can they be created?

Also, I noticed that in the FX folder of Mixcraft 8, two files were created, one with a .preset extension and one with a .presets extension. In the FX folder of Mixcraft 7, there's only a single .preset file. Not sure why.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What if you just copy the preset file over as is, and don't rename it? It should just show up in the list of presets.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BanjoGuy55

Post by BanjoGuy55 »

Thanks for the reply. I opened the newest pair of Mixcraft 8 .preset and .presets files with Notepad. One file consisted of settings and the other had some code, plus the names of the presets for that same plugin. I also opened a few other preset files in Notepad and found they were for a variety of the other plugins. There's no way to tell from the file name which preset file goes with which plugin.

You're right, I can save a preset and then copy the newest file to the flash drive. However, if you copy several files and don't rename them, you really don't know what's what. I guess I'm also not clear how Mixcraft knows which preset file goes with which plugin in the huge list of cryptic names.

Does the VST author have any info regarding creating and/or loading an .fxb file? Is that a VST standard? Or does it even apply to this plugin? [Edit: I just found some info regarding creating .fxb files. Look less than easy.]

Thanks again for the help.
BanjoGuy55

Post by BanjoGuy55 »

Success!
- Created two new presets and saved them.
- Went to the Users folder and found three new preset files. Two were the settings for the two new presets and one was some sort of ID file and identified the new presets.
- Copied the files to my flash drive, keeping their long, cryptic names, but putting them in a folder with the presets in the folder name.
- Copied the files to the other PC, putting them in the appropriate Users folder.
- Fired up Mixcraft, loaded the VST, checked the presets menu -- there they were.
Lots of work, but I learned a lot in the process.
As for creating .fxb files, I found info on the web, but I'm not going to mess with that at the moment. Just glad things are working.
Thanks again for the help, Greg.