What does a direct in box do and how can it help static issues...

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

What does a direct in box do and how can it help static issues...

Post by marc32123 »

I posted another thread about this and didn't get any answers. Anyways, I have static in my audio (vocal or guitar) recordings and I am trying to fix the issue. Someone a long time ago suggested a direct in box to me. I am wondering what a direct in box does exactly and how it might fix the issue? Also, do I use my audio interface in conjunction with the direct in box in my setup? What is the difference in functions between a direct in box and an audio interface?
FancyGoose

Re: What does a direct in box do and how can it help static issues...

Post by FancyGoose »

They are two different things.

An audio interface is a device that usually plugs into a USB port of your computer which allows you to record inputs (microphones or instruments or whatever) and send outputs to external speakers. They require a driver that the manufacturer typically provides for you to install.

A direct box is a device to convert the signal levels between devices. A microphone has a much lower signal than, for example, a line level device. You should try to learn more about mic level, line level, and things like that.

There are plenty of good videos on YouTube that will explain those things for you, I highly suggest you spend some time to view some of those.

Good luck!
FancyGoose

Hobbyist here using Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio with an Arturia Keylab 61 Essential MIDI controller and a Zoom Livetrak L-12 mixer (also the USB interface). I also enjoy EZ Drummer 2 and Amplitube 4.
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Okay so how would a direct in box possibly get rid of static issues?
outteh

Post by outteh »

A DI box converts the signal from your guitar to a compatible signal for recording. Sometimes, if the static you are hearing is caused by incompatible signal impedence, the DI box can help. But since you state you are getting static also from microphone recording, I suspect the problem lies somehere else. Static in your audio, is it after you recorded? Is it on playback only or while recording? Is your audio driver up to date? What are you using to interface with your computer, the on-board audio card or an external audio interface? Tracking down audio problems needs to be done eliminating one possibility at a time. It could be the hard drive, too slow or needs defragging. It could be the graphics driver, out of date. It could be the audio driver. It could be a bad cable. It could be USB interference if the extenal audio interface is USB connected. :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

It could also be that your latency or buffer settings are too low.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

outteh wrote:A DI box converts the signal from your guitar to a compatible signal for recording. Sometimes, if the static you are hearing is caused by incompatible signal impedence, the DI box can help. But since you state you are getting static also from microphone recording, I suspect the problem lies somehere else. Static in your audio, is it after you recorded? Is it on playback only or while recording? Is your audio driver up to date? What are you using to interface with your computer, the on-board audio card or an external audio interface? Tracking down audio problems needs to be done eliminating one possibility at a time. It could be the hard drive, too slow or needs defragging. It could be the graphics driver, out of date. It could be the audio driver. It could be a bad cable. It could be USB interference if the extenal audio interface is USB connected. :D
The static in my audio is there on playback and while recording. I am using a Scarlett 2i2 for an audio interface with up to date drivers.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Try what Greg suggests and adjust your latency and buffer settings until you don’t get any static. :)
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

outteh wrote:Try what Greg suggests and adjust your latency and buffer settings until you don’t get any static. :)
I already tried it and had no luck..
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Does it have any effect at all? The static is exactly the same no matter what latency setting you use?

Greg
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Does it have any effect at all? The static is exactly the same no matter what latency setting you use?

Greg
If I put the settings to low it causes clicking noises and such but no it doesn't really help the static issue no matter what latency setting I use.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That helps narrow the problem down. If you use the soundcard in your computer as the playback device, do you get the static? Try narrowing it down further like that to figure out which component is causing the static. Are you on a laptop? Is the laptop on battery or is it plugged in? Etc.

Greg
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

That helps narrow the problem down. If you use the soundcard in your computer as the playback device, do you get the static? Try narrowing it down further like that to figure out which component is causing the static. Are you on a laptop? Is the laptop on battery or is it plugged in? Etc.

Greg
When I go to file then preferences and sound device, I have Core Audio (WaveRT) selected as driver, and under Default Recording Device (Input) I have Line in (Scarlett 2i2 USB). Under Playback Device (Output) I have Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) selected. Core Audio Options are 44,100 Hz and 16 Bit Stereo and the Latency is at 10 (Mils) and I have Exclusive Mode selected also. I have Force Single CPU selected as well as Use High Priority Threads For Audio Engine.

If I switch the Playback Device (Output) to Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device) it doesn't have any sound and the sound is turned up through settings and all that so I don't know why it's not making any sound?

Also, I get the static through my headphones when I am wearing them and monitoring incoming audio trying to record any audio source, vocal or guitar. It is also there on playback and makes doing and kind of solo singing with one instrumental or two almost impossible. Sometimes if I have like five or six instruments with drums and all that going I can somewhat mask the static out but it's still always there and completely different from a crystal clear vocal recording. I know it is nothing to do with the environment I am recording in because it is completely silent.
geobee

Post by geobee »

A direct box, also better known in the live music industry as a DI box, is used mainly where you have to run mike cables etc over a distance. Where a normal guitar cable has only two wires, if you plug that into a DI box, it converts it to what we call a balanced system where 3 wires are used. These being a normal ground/earth wire, then two signal wires, with one being out of phase to the other. That way, hum and noise etc is cancelled out before it gets into the mixer/amp etc at the other end. Not normally a must have in the studio on microphones, as the cables are normally quite short, but great for converting that noisy guitar output to a mic type clean signal.
outteh

Post by outteh »

You should be using the ASIO driver not windows wave(rt). You need to set windows to use your scarlet for recording and playback and then monitor through the scarlet interface headphones. Look out in you tube for videos on how to set windows for the scarlet 2i2. :D

Maybe someone who uses a Scarlet 2i2 can post some screen shots of what the windows audio setup should look like. :D

See if any of this on how to set up your audio interface helps:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... tup-guide/

S/PDIF is a data link layer protocol as well as a set of physical layer specifications for carrying digital audio signals between devices and components over either optical or electrical cable. The name stands for Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format but is also known as Sony/Philips Digital Interface. Sony and Philips were the primary designers of S/PDIF. So this doesn’t output an audio signal that can be used unless you have the proper receiver for it. :D