Has anyone used Waves InPhase with Mixcraft?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Glaw

Has anyone used Waves InPhase with Mixcraft?

Post by Glaw »

I can't figure out how to make it work. It uses sidechaining so I have no idea if this is possible in Mixcraft (MC ProStudio 8).

This is the plugin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FczN2YBLsrY&t=24s

Any help would be appreciated.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Has anyone used Waves InPhase with Mixcraft?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you watched this video? Compressor Sidechaning in Mixcraft

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Glaw

Post by Glaw »

I don't see the sidechain option in this plugin, it looks different to the compressor. Anyways, what is your prefered method for checking phase alignment in Mixcraft?
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

I have Waves' InPhase. Not sure I've ever accomplished anything worthwhile with it though.

Only way I've used it (and don't know if there's another way):

Slap it onto a (stereo) track, hit play, and then click on the little "Capture" switch at the bottom of the plugin. That captures a very short piece of the audio and then lets you drag one side or the other until you're in phase (or as close to in phase as you can get as indicated by the "Correlation" meter on the bottom of the plugin). And you can muck about with the filters and delays. But as I said: never accomplished anything useful with it (one of the few Waves plugins that were a waste of my money to be honest).

If you're looking for serious and heavyweight phase alignment tools and metering then there's only one place to look and that's MeldaProduction. Here's a link to their MAutoAlign plugin: https://www.meldaproduction.com/MAutoAlign (everything with MeldaProduction is serious and heavyweight just by the way).

Second in line (in my opinion) is, of course, iZotope's Insight (for metering).

Voxengo also has some phase alignment tools and meters for the sake of interest. Here's a link to one of them: https://www.voxengo.com/product/pha979/.

As to how phase is handled:

Not sure what, or how, you're recording but why are you having phase issues anyway??? Only time I have had phase issues is with recording from guitar amps. micd. up in stereo. The best way of not ending up with phase issues (not to mention comb filtering) is to ensure that you're not recording audio that already has phase issues. In other words: eliminate phase issues before recording.
Glaw

Post by Glaw »

I really appreciate your very detailed response. I was just starting to learn more about phase issues. I recorded bass through a DI box and a mic'ed amp. They sound good, maybe I was just over thinking it. I see the pros talking abut this all the time.

I'm glad I didn't buy Waves InPhase, haha.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hmmmnnn...

It would seem that whenever I slag off a Waves plugin I end up eating my words (their VU Meter STILL being the exception though!!! LOL!!!).

Thanks to your initial post I thought lemme take a look at what you were on about i.e. about sidechaining with this plugin. Well turns out: by using the sidechain function you can actually check, and align, two seperate stereo tracks (MeldaProduction the only other one that can do this). Interesting. And not useless!!! LOL!!! Glad I bought it when I did!!! LOL!!!

Here's (yet another) interesting plugin just for guitar and bass:

https://www.forward-audio.de/faguitaralign/

Check out the video a little way down the page. Nice.