MT Power Drums 2

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jlouvar

Re: MT Power Drums 2

Post by jlouvar »

You can also slice drum loops and regroup them. For example, the 70’s Funk drum loops that come with MX8. However, I’ve been using the pads on my Akai MPK249 to create my own drum beats.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Just a further comment with regard to the free version of Steven Slate SSD5 Drums.

With regard to the snare, I've managed to improve it tremendously by tuning it down and applying the Pultronic EQ110P to the Room, all of which gives it a bigger 'rock' sound. I'm now really impressed!

I've removed the toms from the Room to make them sound dry, which makes them sound far better.
As for the crash cymbals, I'll persevere with those, but if no joy I can always use another source for that.
outteh

Post by outteh »

:D :D :D :D :D
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

outteh wrote:Try the Steven Slate SSD5 freebie. It's only one drum set but the sound is fantastic. Bit of caution though, it is a bit difficult to install. :D
I'm downloading now but did wonder how much "trouble" this is? Not a fan of install managers.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
outteh

Post by outteh »

Thomas wrote:
outteh wrote:Try the Steven Slate SSD5 freebie. It's only one drum set but the sound is fantastic. Bit of caution though, it is a bit difficult to install. :D
I'm downloading now but did wonder how much "trouble" this is? Not a fan of install managers.
Be sure to follow instructions and peek at the user manual on how to use them, it helps! :D
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

I gave up trying to install SSD5, and ended up uninstalling it. However, I almost had it working. I wrote Steven Slate Support, and the tips I got (after I already uninstalled) were to download the 4 files to a separate folder so their easy to find, and put the library in documents (my problem was I was looking for the library in programs rather than documents). Anyway, I hope that helps and good luck.
Last edited by jlouvar on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thanks for the tips.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Yeh.

Thanks to this thread and while I was taking a break on Friday I thought well let me download this SSD5 free thing to see what everybody is raving about (one or two accomplished guitarists here by me rave about Steven Slate Drums). All I can say it what a flipping nightmare!!! How can an outfit such as this not "get it right"???

For what it's worth here's the main problem (that I encountered anyway):

When you download the .slatepack files then Windows, for whatever reason, recognizes them as .ZIP files and renames them accordingly (UNLESS, and this I'm unsure about, they actually do have a .ZIP extension on the SSD website which, if this is indeed the case, is shameful to say the least). I say "for whatever reason" but they actually are .ZIP files but supposed to have a .slatepack extension NOT a .ZIP extension. So after downloading for the third time (thinking I was going a bit nuts and it was I that was messing this up): I renamed the two downloaded .ZIP files to .slatepack files and, well, then the Install Manager could find the files and extract them to the specified folder. Oh and by the way: you cannot rename the files within Windows Explorer i.e. you have to go to the command prompt to do this.

So now it's working. But what's with the interface??? It reminds me of those OLD Windows 3.1 programs. Worse still: it reminds me of Ableton!!! LOL!!! And I suppose this is the "reverse placebo" effect i.e. after all this sh*t to install the SSD5 free drums they didn't sound that great to me at all (but I suppose IN FAIRNESS it is after all the free pack).

Nah. BFD3 for me all the way. Unfortunately not free, certainly not cheap, and complicated, but cannot be beat. Not for realism nor for pro. features. AD2 MAYBE (but that's only because I purchased some semi-decent drum kits with it) (and unfortunately only decided to spring for BFD3 after purchasing AD2).
outteh

Post by outteh »

It’s not for everyone but i was most impressed with the samples used to reproduce the drum sounds. The SSD5 to me has better sound then the MT Power Drum, EZ Drummer and the available acoustica drum sets. Yes, it’s still not a real drummer but with a little tweaking you can get some pretty realistic sounds. Keep in mind also, these are all FREE (unless you want more features and capabilities)! :D
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I had no problems installing the software by slowly and carefully following these instructions:
https://stevenslatedrums.zendesk.com/hc ... stallation.

However, there was an issue with the fact that there was initially no sound, but that was solved by this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ8cdWZ-0MQ.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Those the very same instructions I followed.

Seeing as you had no issue maybe it's my download accelerator that's taking it upon itself to recognise the files as being .ZIP files (which they are) and renaming them as such. Never had it happen before. But if this be the case: apologies for the bad rap insofar as the installation is concerned.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Yesterday I decided to try a different route that has been in the back of my mind for some time.

I made audio samples of my preferred components (snare, kick, toms, crash cymbal, open & closed hi-hat) from the Acoustica drumkits and loaded them into Omni Sampler with the 8 outs. I mapped the components in accordance with EzDrummer and, with a touch of distortion and reverb, it sounds far better than any fancy drumkit software I've experienced - and it blended into the mix superbly!

It's just a pity that Omni Sampler has only 8 outs, because 16 would provide even more precise control.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

I'm curious. Why do you have to use Omni Sampler??? Why can you not just add the effects straight to the Acoustica drums etc.???

I ask the above because I really don't know and I've seen this same thing being mentioned before but I've never understood why or what Omni Sampler is about.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

dpaterson wrote:I'm curious. Why do you have to use Omni Sampler??? Why can you not just add the effects straight to the Acoustica drums etc.???

I ask the above because I really don't know and I've seen this same thing being mentioned before but I've never understood why or what Omni Sampler is about.
It wouldn't work as well in any old sample plaver, including the original Omni Sampler. The latest 64-bit version has 8 outs to which each drumkit component can be sent for individual processing, as opposed to the Acoustica drumkit, which can not. However, due to the latest Omni Sampler having only eight outs, I've been forced to share the toms in one out, which still works reasonably well anyway, but sixteen would have been more convenient.

It's often been something of an irritation to me as to why commercial drumkit software over-complicates the process by imitating studio procedures, such as including close-miked samples which, in my experience, often turn out to be completely useless and distracting. After all, in a live performance all we hear is the distant or ambient sound, and it's that which sounds good.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Ianpb wrote:After all, in a live performance all we hear is the distant or ambient sound, and it's that which sounds good.
Live performance drum kits are close mic’ed with the exception of the overhead mic’s.... Adding reverb to close mic’ed drum samples gives you more control to get the distant or ambient sound you’re desiring. :wink:
Last edited by jlouvar on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- Joe -