MT Power Drums 2

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ianpb

MT Power Drums 2

Post by Ianpb »

I've discovered that it's possible to assign different sounds to the free MT Power Drums 2 vsti, thanks to the video below. However, at 4:43, where the narrator explains how to do it in a different DAW, I'm left perplexed. From the explanation, can anyone tell me if this procedure can be performed in Mixcraft 8, and if so, how?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... smA1cFH5YQ
outteh

Re: MT Power Drums 2

Post by outteh »

Are you looking at mixer settings or grooves? :D The video is pretty self explanatory.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Neither. I want to replace the sounds of the components of the drumkit with something better, and at 4:43 the narrator of the video proceeds to show how this is done, but I can't follow his explanation, largely because he's not doing it within Mixcraft. I'm even wondering if what he's doing is translatable to Mixcraft.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I think the question is about the MIDI routing shown, where he is driving other drum VSTi sounds with the MIDI output from within MTPowerDrums.
Interesting potential. I would need to install and experiment, and honestly have no time for that right now.

As a slight aside, but perhaps useful anyway-
This is the first in depth presentation I have seen on this product, and am now intrigued.
As presented, it appears to be similar to what I have frequently done with EZDrummer, which is ignore a lot of the features and use it primarily for the sounds.
And with that method, you can find a basic MIDI groove you like, drop it into Mixcraft, edit and rewrite as desired, then use whatever sounds you wish.I

Similarly, you could avoid all that routing stuff and use the grooves you like, and change instruments to play whatever you may have.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

The video shows how to use the grooves to play through another vsti using midi out to midi in. I don’t think Mixcraft can do this yet? But what is easier is to set up a track with your other drum Vsti and drag and drop the MT groove into it. :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Crossed posts Ian,

He isn't loading different sounds as far as I can tell. Just harvesting the grooves and routing the MIDI to other VSTi

(Now crossed posts with Tom)
That's how I see it as well. It may be possible. But is it worth the fuss?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Either way, there's a range of potential uses there for a freebie. Quite interesting!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

Here's how you do it. In Mixcraft in the detail window add your second VSTI below the MT Power Drum VSTI. When adding the second VSTI you may need to scroll down the list to get to the second VSTI midi in.

Details.jpg
Details.jpg (115.44 KiB) Viewed 7229 times

Then follow the instructions for setting the MT Power Drum to midi out and make sure you turn off the sound out in the mixer view. The groove will then play through the second VSTI drum.
details1.jpg
details1.jpg (26.5 KiB) Viewed 7229 times
Last edited by outteh on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
outteh

Post by outteh »

P.S. The MT Power Drums use some very good sound files for their drums. It has a very rich drum sound. However, having recently played with the Steven Slate SSD5 drums, they are MUCH better sounding. :D
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Last edited by Ianpb on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Ianpb wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote:Crossed posts Ian,

He isn't loading different sounds as far as I can tell. Just harvesting the grooves and routing the MIDI to other VSTi

(Now crossed posts with Tom)
That's how I see it as well. It may be possible. But is it worth the fuss?
Right. I appear to have misunderstood what the video was suggesting, and I don't think it's worth the fuss. It's a pity because this software would be far more useful if it were possible to change component sounds, particularly the snare and crash cymbals, which are somewhat dire. I've found it to be extremely stable too, but as it is, it just doesn't cut it in terms of sound. I much prefer a lower-pitched snare with wires applied together with a dramatic crash cymbal.

I'm content with the grooves from EZDrummer, albeit with some edits, but I've recently given up the ghost with 'Perfect Drums'; what a waste of money that was!
outteh

Post by outteh »

Try the Steven Slate SSD5 freebie. It's only one drum set but the sound is fantastic. Bit of caution though, it is a bit difficult to install. :D
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

outteh wrote:Try the Steven Slate SSD5 freebie. It's only one drum set but the sound is fantastic. Bit of caution though, it is a bit difficult to install. :D
I've just been playing around with this and it is pretty good and easy to set up. My quibble is yet again with the snare and weak crash cymbals. I managed to improve them by using distortion, reverb and compression, but not to my satisfaction. I do hate the sound of the snares that are thrown onto these drumkits. The 'Room' is pretty pathetic too. I had to insert an EQ, compressor and reverb to get some usable dark ambience.
outteh

Post by outteh »

I usually add the Twisthead V 206 vst to the track to give the drums some analog flavor. Makes the snare snap! :D
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Hi,

You can output the MT power drum kit using the setting on the settings page, mute each drum sound individually on the mixer page whilst outputting the entire pattern to the second drum VSTi and you can drag and drop it's patterns from it's groove timeline (very limited length) onto the track in Mixcraft and edit the track as you see fit. Then you can play it back with the drums of the MT and EZDrummer separately or together. You can also save the setup in Mixcraft as a template, so it's not so bad, especially when you run out of money and stop buying things. Note : Everything for sale tends to come with great videos that never seem as simple when you can't be arsed learning it all, which of course is the last thing anyone thinks about when enjoying the buzz of buying crap. :lol:
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6