What are your top 3 feature requests for Mixcraft 9?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: What are your top 3 feature requests for Mixcraft 9?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Oh, it's just a poll that asks whether people would rather have tempo automation or curved automation.

Of course, we're going to have both, but it's fun to see which feature people want most. Curved automation is leading tempo automation %59 to %41. 220 votes.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Okay, thank you.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I dont do Facebook either, but I'll cast a vote here- maybe someone can vote for me! :lol:
If I had to choose one between those, it would be an automation tool upgrade.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
johnw

Post by johnw »

I. Ability to copy whole tracks for tanfer to another instance of MC, and not just the track content, but the VST too, etc.

2, Ability to save a MIDI clip as a MIDI file, not as song, not as anything but a MIDI file--so I can load into another DAW, to be frank. It is possible to do this now but not directly, only with a "work-around". Adjunctively, allow drag and drop of files from a desktop browser side-bar right into the work.

3. Change to structure of arranging so that different parts of a song can be worked on alone, without the whole composition's track list always open This should be done with TABS--intro, middle, transition, middle2, transition, middle 3, ending--one part at a time, then as a whole in the usual MC linear structure. . Magix has a simple version of this.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

johnw wrote:2, Ability to save a MIDI clip as a MIDI file, not as song, not as anything but a MIDI file--so I can load into another DAW, to be frank. It is possible to do this now but not directly, only with a "work-around". Adjunctively, allow drag and drop of files from a desktop browser side-bar right into the work.
HI,

What happens if you click on the File menu and select "Save As MIDI File..."?

Greg
johnw

Post by johnw »

Thanks for your response. MC cannot save a single MIDI file. It saves the entire song, minus audio files. The work-around is to copy the single file into a blank song with no other tracks, then save that. Not very elegant, to say the least.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

johnw wrote:Thanks for your response. MC cannot save a single MIDI file. It saves the entire song, minus audio files. The work-around is to copy the single file into a blank song with no other tracks, then save that. Not very elegant, to say the least.
Hi,

What happens if you solo the track before you save as MIDI?

Greg
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

davefk wrote:A volume slider for when you are auditioning clips/library items. PLEASE :-)
Yes please! A song I'm working on may have 10 tracks (playing sound clips), which are all individually turned down so they mix well. In this case, auditioning clips at full volume is not only deafening, I can't easily tell if the clip fits into the song since it's so loud. Sometimes, the opposite is true and I wish could boost the volume of a quiet clip so I can audition it along with everything else playing.

Secondly, can you move the library out of text files and into a local SQL database? I have over 500,000 clips and it takes a few minutes to load the library. A refresh caused by filtering or searching is a true test of patience.

And thirdly. Auditioning a corrupt audio clip in the library will cause Mixcraft to immediately crash and close, losing any changes since my last save. Ctrl-S has to be a very disciplined habit before auditioning anything. Can you put a try/catch around the playing of clips and alert me to a corrupt file with the option to remove it from the database, and optionally, delete the file so I don't re-import it later?

Thanks for such a great program, and for considering these requests in future versions.

Scooter
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Scooter wrote:And thirdly. Auditioning a corrupt audio clip in the library will cause Mixcraft to immediately crash and close, losing any changes since my last save. Ctrl-S has to be a very disciplined habit before auditioning anything. Can you put a try/catch around the playing of clips and alert me to a corrupt file with the option to remove it from the database, and optionally, delete the file so I don't re-import it later?

Scooter
Maybe you need to run a chkdsk on your computer to repair the file structure? Also, make sure you're running Mixcraft version 8.1 build 418.

If the problem is happening with build 418 of Mixcraft 8, please submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach one of the files that crashes Mixcraft.
ansatheus

Post by ansatheus »

1. make bypass of instruments and FX-chain available via envelope automation -> more resource-saving work

2. repeatable playback from a defined point -> so you can work on MIDI/audio without clicking the playback point again with the mouse

2. regions in the marker area that can also be copied and moved marked -> easier arranging of a song
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.
ansatheus wrote:1. make bypass of instruments and FX-chain available via envelope automation -> more resource-saving work
You can currently do this with Send tracks. Here's a video on Send tracks: Mixcraft Effects: Using Send Tracks.
2. repeatable playback from a defined point -> so you can work on MIDI/audio without clicking the playback point again with the mouse
You could use the loop playback option (next to the metronome). Select the area and click that button. Or, you can add track markers and play back from the markers. Press Ctrl+Spacebar to play from previous marker and Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar to play from the next marker.
2. regions in the marker area that can also be copied and moved marked -> easier arranging of a song
So, the feature request is to be able to copy and paste markers? Thanks for the suggestion. We do have an automatic track marker feature under Mix menu > Markers. This would allow you to quickly place markers throughout the project.

Greg
ansatheus

Post by ansatheus »

1. make bypass of instruments and FX-chain available via envelope automation -> more resource-saving work

You can currently do this with Send tracks. Here's a video on Send tracks: Mixcraft Effects: Using Send Tracks.
It's not what I mean. In Ableton Live, for example, a rack of instruments and effects or even individual instruments and effects can be completely switched off and on again via automation when they are needed. If you do this in all tracks, the project runs much more efficiently. This means that twice as many tracks can run in the project with the same computer load.
This gives you the option of switching on certain effects at certain points. Of course you can also send, but sometimes you don't want to do it that way.
You could use the loop playback option (next to the metronome). Select the area and click that button. Or, you can add track markers and play back from the markers. Press Ctrl+Spacebar to play from previous marker and Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar to play from the next marker.
Good hint, I'll take a look.
By moving regions I meant moving the entire content of a region. This is the case, for example, in Sony/Magix Acid. There a region is drawn up, e.g. a bridge, a chorus, which is then simply drawn to another place.

---

All my work is about simplifying the workflow.

Regards!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can have the effects on a Send track, and multiple tracks can use the same effects, saving CPU. You can then use automation to completely stop using the effects on any track.

You can currently copy and paste sections of the tracks, and that will also copy any automation in that section.

Greg
ansatheus

Post by ansatheus »

Hi,

Yeah, I got that. But it is not the same.

For 3 reasons:

1) One send can serve any number of tracks. But I always have the same settings, e.g. a reverb. It is possible to set the send part per track, but only for the reverb. If I want to have a different reverb for another track, I make a new send and have 2 tracks instead of 2 tracks with 2 reverb + 2 sends with reverb. This gives me more resources.

2) If I do a send via automation, the plug-ins stay on and still consume resources. I didn't win anything with it.

3) I can't put an instrument into a send and therefore can't switch it off.

Ableton solves it that way:
For example, an instrument and a few insert effects end up in a track. Each one can be switched off and on using the Device Off/Device On function. If it is off, then it is off and does not consume any resources. The same goes for a chain. This is the same as setting the check mark Active/inactive on the left side of a chain in the upper left corner of Mixcraft. And that's exactly what I meant when I said you should be able to enable/disable automation.

Since Mixcraft has so much in common with Ableton Live, I thought you looked at it and understood what I meant.

Regards!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Does Ableton actually unload the plugins from RAM? Probably not, because it would take time for them to load again. Using Send tracks, if you're not sending audio to the plugin, it doesn't need to process the audio, so it would use less CPU.

And of course, you can always freeze tracks in Mixcraft (Ctrl+F).

Greg