Analog hardware/ summing

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Javan21

Analog hardware/ summing

Post by Javan21 »

How do i incorporate hardware effects into mixcraft? For example, if i had a hardware 1073 eq and i wanted to run the tracks through that and back into the Daw. Or even a summing mixer such as burl 32.

Mixcraft 8.1 Pro Studio
Dual xeon e5-2630
52gb of ram
Ssd hard drives
Main interface in antelope audio discrete 8
Mark Bliss

Re: Analog hardware/ summing

Post by Mark Bliss »

At minimum you would need an interface with enough ins and outs to suit the planned task. Most people would also incorporate a mixing console of some sort.
It's a tempting proposition if you already have some quality hardware. But be mindful of some caveats.
First, much so called "hardware" is little more than a pc board in a box with some chips running algorithms that are nothing a plug in couldn't do just as well.
Second, be aware of repetitive digital conversions.
I have seen some setups where the user had for example, recording gear going through an interface (a/d conversion one) out of the DAW through an interface (d/a conversion two) through some "hardware" that actually internally involved a/d and d/a conversion three and four, back through an interface (a/d conversion five through the DAW and out through an interface to monitoring (d/a conversion six) etc.
That may seem an extreme example, but it's more common than you might expect. And many feel, less than ideal given modern digital capabilities. This reason, combined with recall abilities has led many of the biggest names in audio engineering to drift toward "ITB"
An interesting alternative hybrid IMO is to record through an analog desk and outboard gear to get the best of that world. Then output those tracks through a multiple channel interface into the DAW. Then taking it a step further, mixing ITB using a second (digital this time) mix desk. One conversion in, one out.

Sorry for the lengthy answer, but I find it an intriguing question. Even if it's just theoretical to a minimalistic studio hobbyist like me! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Drdish007

Re: Analog hardware/ summing

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I use hardware processors and in-the-box plugins. I have a Scarlet 18i20 use interface. I use 6 input channels for mikes and 2 inputs from my 8 channel hardware mixer. I use compressors inserted on the hardware mixer channels as needed. I use the hardware mixer for external keyboards, and for mikes.
The Scarlet main output goes to my monitor speakers. I use a second pair of outputs to go back to 2 channels of my hardware mixer. With this I can send a mono or stereo Mixcraft signal for hardware processing.
Here is an example of how I recorded a drum kit. I had 6 mikes for the individual drums going to the Scarlet inputs. ( bass drum, snare, 2 rack toms, floor tom, and hihat ) I used 2 mikes for overhead kit sound. These mikes went into my hardware mixer, where I inserted compressors. The mixer out went to the last 2 inputs on the Scarlet. After recording the kit, I then sent the signal of the overhead mike tracks back to the hardware mixer to add a wood-room reverb. The wet out of the reverb was recorded back to Mixcraft. Now I had individual drum instrument tracks, stereo overhead track, and a stereo wood-room reverb track. I then mixed these tracks using the Mixcraft mixer. I put the drum tracks to a submix channel. ( as Mark stated above, my reverb, a Midiverb4, is digital, which used a/d and d/a again ) I use it because I like it's wood-room reverb sound. If you have a good plugin reverb you could use that.I

I hope this is helpful.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1