Cherry Audio Voltage Modular

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

daveiv

Cherry Audio Voltage Modular

Post by daveiv »

So Acoustica team have been working on a software called Voltage Modular under Cherry Audio brand.

The software looks like a modular workstation like Reason or Reaktor. Something that works both standalone and as a VST/AU plugin.

So, what does that mean for Mixcraft users?

Apparently, all the development efforts are focused on Voltage Modular.

Will Mixcraft development continue with new features and stuff, or stay in "maintenance mode"?

Or any plans to include Voltage Modular in Mixcraft 9?
Mark Bliss

Re: Cherry Audio Voltage Modular

Post by Mark Bliss »

Its a third party plug in. Not Acoustica software.
And its a synth.
(I believe Chris Collins from the Acoustica team is involved in the development.)
Cherry Audio is a new company formed by a small group of industry veterans from Sonic Foundry, Cakewalk, Bias, Acoustica, and Keyboard Magazine. Voltage is backed by a real company, built by programmers with decades of experience creating audio and DSP software.
There is a specially priced offer for Mixcraft users, and looks like a pretty good deal if your into old school modular synths. ($29 through the end of May, normally $50)
*Of course part of the deal is the enticement to purchase additional modules. Fair enough.
They offer hundreds, as well as a module developer tool.
https://cherryaudio.com/

Its not my thing. But between this and the PSP plug-in deal, MAYBE its a hint of some things to be included in future updates? Just a guess. 8)
(There is a relationship there as well, as Cherry sells PSP products. Also dunno what that means.)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
daveiv

Post by daveiv »

Mark Bliss wrote:Its a third party plug in. Not Acoustica software.
Come on. Acoustica CEO, CTO and of course Mitchell are on the video wearing "Voltage Modular" shirts. :D
And its a synth.
Obviously more than a synth. It can even host VST plugins.
There is a specially priced offer for Mixcraft users,
The deal is available to everyone on Plugin Boutique.
(There is a relationship there as well, as Cherry sells PSP products. Also dunno what that means.)
Cherry Audio website has a marketplace for Voltage Modular modules.

Actually, Voltage Modular is a very interesting product. I found being able to develop modules in Java also interesting, because I'm making a music software in Java using JavaFX. Also making user interfaces using Affinity Designer. I will definitely give Voltage Modular and its Designer a try in my spare time.

I'm just curious about the future of Mixcraft.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Mitch Sigman (known for his Mixcraft instructional videos) has been at event things promoting Voltage Modular recently (I discovered on Youtube).
It is going cheap (though I didn't see any reduction for Mixcraft users, it is just an introductory sale (that I've been enticed to throw money at for various bundles by various sub-manufacturers). It has helped me understand the subject better on the basis of having to justify having spent money on it (and not wasting it), but unless I haven't grasped it yet, it seems like certain manufacturers modules don't connect with others. It's left me annoyed and confused (that I didn't just learn to use VCV Rack, which is free), but you live and learn and I am learning and enjoying it. It will eat even more money I expect, soon enough. :shock: :cry: :D

(Daveiv replied while I was typing so I didn't see his response before I posted the above. It's all informative anyway :D )
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

daveiv wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote:Its a third party plug in. Not Acoustica software.
Come on. Acoustica CEO, CTO and of course Mitchell are on the video wearing "Voltage Modular" shirts. :D
Haven't seen that. I just saw the info about the release a week or more ago from Plugin Boutique (Which I skimmed 'cause I am just not that into synths) and then the Acoustica newsletter and "Plug-in of the month-special price offer" and the link to a tut video featuring Chris.
daveiv wrote:Obviously more than a synth. It can even host VST plugins.
OK, fair enough. Didn't dig that deep I guess.
If you could input audio instead of oscillators, routed through modules, or something- that might be cool.....
daveiv wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote:(There is a relationship there as well, as Cherry sells PSP products. Also dunno what that means.)
daveiv wrote:Cherry Audio website has a marketplace for Voltage Modular modules.
And PSP plug ins. That's what I meant.
daveiv wrote:I'm just curious about the future of Mixcraft.
I guess time will tell if its a side gig or something more.
If it means a new direction, I'll check it out. If it means Mixcraft is to become a fiddly mess, or on the other hand go idle, there's options.
Based on past experience, I doubt that's the case.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

Did you notice the little “cherry” in the upper left corner of their homepage? Wonder how long that will stay around? :lol:
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Hi friends,

At Acoustica, we are hard at work on Mixcraft 9, which we expect to release later this year. I can tell you that the new version will contain some very powerful and innovative new features, and you're going to love it. We're making solid progress and I can't wait to show you what we're working on, in the coming months!

For those of you wondering about Voltage Modular and my work with Cherry Audio, I just recorded a podcast with Darwin Grosse about Voltage Modular, Mixcraft, and my career. You can check it out here: https://artmusictech.libsyn.com/podcast ... erry-audio

All the best,
Dan
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

I'm listening to the Podcast as I'm typing this (very cool). 8)

EDIT: PS: Please keep Acoustica Mixcraft focused on DAW features... Not video editing. :wink:
Add the Voltage Modular Synth to MX9? 8)

Joe
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

(Edited) Just ignore me, do whatever everybody else wants. I'm outta here. Good luck
Last edited by Ian Craig on Sat May 25, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Ian Craig wrote:PS. Ignore Joe
Ian, if I’m not mistaken... You can ignore (block) all my postings in your Acoustica account settings.
- Joe -

Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Hi Joe,
jlouvar wrote:I'm listening to the Podcast as I'm typing this (very cool). 8)
EDIT: PS: Please keep Acoustica Mixcraft focused on DAW features... Not video editing. :wink:
Joe
Mixcraft actually has quite a few video editing features in it, but I promise you we'll never let Mixcraft become a video editing application the way Sonic Foundry's Vegas program did!

I hope you enjoyed the interview.

Thanks,
Dan
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Acoustica Dan wrote:Hi Joe,

Mixcraft actually has quite a few video editing features in it, but I promise you we'll never let Mixcraft become a video editing application the way Sonic Foundry's Vegas program did!

I hope you enjoyed the interview.

Thanks,
Dan
Yeah, I enjoyed the podcast very much, and I watched some Voltage Modular Synth demonstrations on YouTube too... Awesome... and thank you for keeping Mixcraft a DAW. :D

Joe
- Joe -

bob9000

Post by bob9000 »

When I received the email with the Voltage Modular deal I did not pay too much attention to it because I thought I would never use a modular synth. After listening to the podcast interview with Dan I when ahead and purchased the Core deal and am happy I did, besides doing a great job it is fun to use.