distortion in mix-down recording

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

LeesKeys

distortion in mix-down recording

Post by LeesKeys »

I'm getting distortion in my WAV mixdown. I can't figure out why. None of my levels spike in the red. There is no distortion when I'm listening to the project before mixdown, only after the WAV is rendered (same for mp3). I've looked for at my sound card settings (Focusrite 2i2). In the Windows 10 sound panel, both recording and playback are set for 44.1K, 24-bit. My ASIO control panel is set at 44.1k, buffer 512. The only thing that doesn't match up is along the bottom of the Mixcraft window I see 44.1K, 32-bit. Could this be the problem? I'm really stumped
Attachments
Distortion.mp3
(518.86 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
2019-05-23_08h08_20.png
2019-05-23_08h08_20.png (18.57 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Acoustica Greg

Re: distortion in mix-down recording

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try mixing down to a wav file with the same sample rate you're using in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences. For example, if you're using a sample rate of 48000 Hz, try mixing down to a wav file with a sample rate of 48000 Hz. Click "Edit Details" when you go to mix down to change the sample rate. If you're using a sample rate of 44100 Hz, mix down to a wav with a sample rate of 44100 Hz.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I used to get that exact same thing when I was using an older presonus audio interface. I would simply have to disengage it and re-engage it. I did that by opening preferences and then closing it again.
It's something to do with the asio driver leaking memory after being engaged for a long period of time.
Now that I have a more modern interface, I never have the issue.
LeesKeys

Post by LeesKeys »

Apparently a couple of my tracks were too hot and causing distortion. I backed all the track down a bit and compensated with an increase in Master gain and that took care of it.

BUT....
Why is the distortion apparent in the rendered file and not when I'm listening to the project?

Also, what is Mixcraft referring as 32-bit to in the bottom info panel (see my pic)? As far as I can see, everything is set up in Windows Sound as 24-bit.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you run into the problem again, try my suggestion (see above)*.

That 32-bit reading there at the bottom of Mixcraft's screen is referring to the sample rate at which Mixcraft's sound engine processes files. For your recording sample rate, look in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences.

Greg

*Edited to add: some plugins don't work properly if the sample rate changes when you mix down. That's why mixing down to the same sample rate fixes the problem.
LeesKeys

Post by LeesKeys »

thanks. I always make sure my sample rates match.

Still don't understand why the distortion is only noticeable in the rendered audio....
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you load the rendered audio back into a new Mixcraft project and play it, do you hear the distortion?

Greg
LeesKeys

Post by LeesKeys »

yes
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try mixing down to a wav file that has the same sample rate you're using in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences, and if you hear extra distortion that's not in the Mixcraft project, quit Mixcraft and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg