Still having tuning problems

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Yellowcake

Still having tuning problems

Post by Yellowcake »

Hi all,

I posted a couple of weeks ago about tuning problems with MIDI plugins in Mixcraft. Unfortunately, bizarrely, they still persist.

Basically, anything I play on my Alesis Q49 keyboard via Mixcraft is about a semitone flat. I've tested this by playing Pianissimo as a standalone instrument (ie. Mixcraft not active) and the tuning is just about spot on. Then I fire Mixcraft up, load in the Pianissimo plugin and the tuning's out. Tried a MIDI reset and it doesn't solve the problem.

It could be an issue with my Q49 but I don't think so. Is there any parameter within Mixcraft that could be causing this problem? I guess I could uninstall/reinstall Mixcraft again to see if that solves the problem, but there's something really weird going on here. Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Dave
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: Still having tuning problems

Post by Acoustica Eric »

That's odd, there's no de-tune parameter in Mixcraft. It could be your audio device settings. What do you have selected in preferences under sound device?
Yellowcake

Post by Yellowcake »

It's really interesting you mentioned my sound device settings Eric.

I have a Tascam US-4x4 audio interface and like to use a 48kHz sample rate. The only way to change the sample rate is via Windows sound settings - not the Tascam settings screen or Mixcraft.

What seems to randomly happen is that somehow things slip from 48kHz to 44.1Khz and that, I believe is when I start to have tuning problems. I have no idea what causes Windows to randomly change the sample rate. It seems to want to default to 44.1kHz rather than retaining the 48kHz setting.

Now you've mentioned it, I'm sure this is what's causing the tuning issues. The problem is, I have no idea what triggers it?

Dave
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Ok, that device may not support a sample rate that high. Is there a driver made specifically for the version of windows you are running? Are you using its asio driver or wavert?
Lastly, why not just use 44100?
Yellowcake

Post by Yellowcake »

The device does support 48kHz.

I’m using the latest driver Eric. It is Windows 10 compatible. I’m using ASIO drivers.

I just prefer to use 48kHz. Difficult to give you a meaningful reason why, but in light of this problem it’s probably sensible to go back to 44.1

Dave
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I know there are a couple older tascam devices who's drivers don't like windows 10. Other than that, a lot of people think the higher they set sample rates, the better their music will sound. Which simply isn't true in the sense they think it is.
I could post several examples of files rendered in 44100 and up and the human ear would never hear the difference.
I wouldn't go below 44100 though, personal opinion.
Yellowcake

Post by Yellowcake »

Thanks for your help Eric. Your comments enabled me to home in on where the problem was. Until you mentioned my sound device I hadn’t even thought of that as being the culprit. You’ve saved me a lot of grief!

Dave
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I'm glad to be of service :-)