midi learn

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

skarabee

midi learn

Post by skarabee »

Can midi learn react to Program Changes?
skarabee

Re: midi learn

Post by skarabee »

from hat I've read in the manual, it's stated CC, notes on and off. is there a way to make it rect to program changes messages?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you're sending program change commands into Mixcraft, they would be recorded as CC. You could also add them manually, of course.

There's no option to MIDI map program changes. What are you trying to do, exactly?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Trying to send command from a midi guitar foot controler (PC only) in order to changes cells in prestation mode while I'm playing guitar.
The foot controler is working well with other programs and hardware. Mixcraft don't react to it in midi learn mode.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You could MIDI map the parameters of the virtual instrument. Check out this video: Using A MIDI Controller With Virtual Instruments and Plug-Ins.

If your guitar foot controller isn't sending MIDI to Mixcraft, that's another story.

Make sure no other programs are running, because they can intercept the MIDI data. Are you sure the guitar foot controller is sending MIDI data? Which guitar foot controller do you have? Does it have different modes?

Greg
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Thanks Greg for the answer.
I don't want to change parameters on the virtual instrument, (by the way, i'ts a plugin I made that create auto-accompagnements in Yamaha PRS Style, but using VSTs as sound sources. This one works well in Mixcraft)
I just want to select different cells of the prestation mode, to jam along with my guitar, and make a video demo for my plug.

All is working good when I assign notes or CC from a controller (Korg Triton Taktile or Reloop Keypad), I can select cells or lines by hand with pads or buttons, but I want to do it hands free, and when I try to midi learn from my Roland FC-50 foot controller, wich send only Program changes: no reaction from Mixcraft.

The FC-50 pedalboard works fine with other programs. I rtested it with a midi monitor, and it sends just what it has to do: program changes. I tried with a blank project in Mixcraft alone, no other midi things running, even in background. Once the Roland FC-50 is connected to the laptop, Mixcraft recognize it, I see the midi "led" blink on bottom side of Mixcraft when i press pedal switches, but it seems that PC are not recongized.
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Confirmed here: Program changes are not working in Midi learn mode: tried with my keyboards (Korg Taktile, Evolution MK225, Reloop Keypad, Korg NanoKontrol, Korg R3. So my pedalborad was no faulty.
Program changes are not taken as CC, as stated, they are simply ignored in Midi Learn.

Given that there will be no more updates to M8 till M9 is out, I think it's time for me to move. Sad because I really liked Mixcraft workflow and the prestation panel. See you maybe when M9 will reach the ground, if midi features are updated.

Thanks to the team and forumers.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Record a MIDI clip with some notes and send some different CC messages (not just program change, but including program change) using your foot pedal, then save it and send us the project file.

Greg
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I'm afraid you don't understand what I'm trying to do, maybe it's because english is not my native language, and my explanationas are bad ;)
I don't want to record PC in a clip. This is working, actually.
I just need to use the pedalboard (wich sends only PC) as a control surface to change cells or lines of cells on the fly, when i'm using the prestation mode in live mode (playing audio or midi clips). So I tried to assign these control with the midi learn function. No luck.
As I said, I tested all sort of other controllers, sending PC, in case my Roland FC foot controller was faulty, but no way to make Mixcraft react to PC in midi learn mode. Trying to do it manually, I saw that the choice for midi commands in the "surface control" was notes on/off, CCs.

For what I have seen, PC are recorded, played back in midi clips, but not usable as live controls. I didn't find a workaround, so I asked here.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, so CC data is making it into Mixcraft and it's being recorded in MIDI clips, but you wanted to use the foot pedal to control the Performance Panel?

Greg
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Yes! :D
and my foot controller send only Program changes...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

This would be a feature request. Thank you for suggesting it!

Greg
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

Anyway, that does'nt matter anymore.
I'm not switching to another daw, i'm switching to no-daw at all, currently selling all my electronic stuff, keeping just acoustic and electric instruments.

I'm in the business since a long time, I saw Atari and Amiga coming, I jumped on the boat. Hours wasted not to make music, but trying to do what I was able to do 30 years ago with HW sequencers, footswitches and a bunch of midi boxes. Tired of this everlasting nightmare of never-ending updates and patches, unstables plug-ins, downloading, install/reinstall, buying stuff that won't least more than one year, till the next OS update. :lol:

Mixcraft is almost what I needed, and believe me, I tried almost everything :lol: but still missing little things.

If I have a last thing to say here, it's a message for the devs: Leave the eye-candy and skins requests, (we don't make music with our eyes), but focus ont the Performance mode. To many toys apps, to many DAWS, some of them for free, some bundled to hardware. There is a big place to take for a generalist and friendly live midi/audio sequencer, (not talking about EDM or minimalist electro oriented hype tools). Tons of request on various forums, from people that don't want to dive into Max for Live, LUA scripts or hardware locked softwares.
My 2 cents.

Many thanks Eric and best wishes to every one at Acoustica.
alpine717@gmail.com

Post by alpine717@gmail.com »

Hi,

I'd like to use a foot controller (Line 6 FBV Express Mk II) to - at a minimum - trigger clips sequentially in a Performance Panel Set. I read in a previous post here (from June 14, 2019) that this feature wasn't supported as of that date. Is that functional now? I currently have Mixcraft 7, and am happy to upgrade to 9 if it supports this function. If so, would the pedal on that controller also be able to control volume?

Ideally I'd like to use this foot controller to select different sets and clips but being able to change clips (primarily pads) while I'm playing guitar is my current need. Please advise regarding these functions, and if the Line 6 controller is compatible with Mixcraft.

Thanks much.