Live mixing in the studio (not 'out there')

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

John M

Live mixing in the studio (not 'out there')

Post by John M »

Hi all,

I apologise if this has been covered before but I did a bit of digging and didn't come up with anything.

I have all my tracks recorded and want to get a final stereo mix of it all (of course!). I'm probably being dumb but how do I get a 2 track stereo mix while the actual piece is playing? Does this make sense?

I have some automation but wanted to do the final main vocal mix live as it is being recorded. I already made an error and lost all my vocal automation (2 extra hours redoing it and not as well as the 1st time!).

So, is this possible or do I have to fully automate and then just wait while it produces a fast, silent mix for me to listen to afterwards?

Once again, apologies if this has been covered 6554 times already!!
John M.
jlouvar

Re: Live mixing in the studio (not 'out there')

Post by jlouvar »

Huh? I’m not sure I understand the question. But I think you need to mix the song down to an MP3 or wav file... Then open a new MX8 project and load the mix down file into the new opened project.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
grumpysnake

Post by grumpysnake »

As far as I know I don't think there is an option that allows you to bounce in 'Realtime'.
I could be wrong though as I don't use external synths that require the audio to be passed back through them during bounce out - "offline" bounce does me just fine.

In regards to the automation thing, fully automate your vocal line first. Then Mixcraft engrains that information into the WAV file during bounce in turn you have the bounced out audio file sounding just how you want it 8) .

GrumpySnake
Windows 10 Pro x64, AMD FX8350
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
MX7, MX8, Waves Mercury Bundle, Melodyne Assistant
Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 12
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
You can play back your recorded tracks and record your vocal to a new armed audio track. You will need to use headphones so the instrument sounds don't get recorded in the vocal track.

To get a stereo mix of your instruments, just mix down to wav or mp3.

You can do all mixing in Mixcraft to get the sound you want. You can even setup automation after your vocal is recorded.

- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

John M wrote:do I have to fully automate and then just wait while it produces a fast, silent mix for me to listen to afterwards?
well, the automation you program in to the tracks... that will all operate (realtime) as you press play on the mix?
in other words, you've got a bunch of tracks? you've got your vocal track recorded...and you go ahead and make some edits to the automation of it... ok?

if you want to then listen to that in a stereo mix, you just hit play at the bottom of the screen? that plays back the left and the right channel, assuming you've panned your tracks away from centre you've got a "stereo mix" right there...
yes, you can "mix down to file" as you describe, and then play it afterwards also

hth!
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I'm relieved I wasnt the only one with more questions than answers here!

I thought maybe the OP wanted to record some automation of some sort while recording the vocal. Level ride? I dunno. Need clarification on intent, and also need to know more about methods and gear I reckon. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

John, did any of the above replies help, or do you still need help?
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar