Midi out to second VST instrument

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

tatanka

Midi out to second VST instrument

Post by tatanka »

Hi,

I have two main problem in my workflow left in case of midi vst to vst instrument which seem to be caused by the structure from mixcraft to play the loaded vst general "parallel" instead of one after another:

- If I have a "midi only" vst loaded first that takes the chords from an existing midi track it works fine to load a second instrument just behind it and it will play the notes generated from the midi vst (captain plugins, sequencer, arp)
- now problem one: if I load another vst instrument behind it it wont take the generated midi but only the midi chords from the track
- second problem which is worse: if the first vst is instrument AND midi, especially some kontakt instruments which works as sequencer and normally put midi out, I could not find any way to get that midi out to another vst instrument behind it, the second loaded instrument will only play the midi from the track. Midi out settings in Kontakt are fine, it works in any other daw without problems to use the outcoming generated midi

Is there any way or workaround to get this done in mc 8 or is it just impossible with the actual structure ?
banzailoco

Re: Midi out to second VST instrument

Post by banzailoco »

deleted erroneous answer
Last edited by banzailoco on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tatanka

Post by tatanka »

Hi banzailoco,

thanks for the info but could you please post compete link to the other thread again ? Seems broken. I have searched the forum before doing this thread but have not found anything about it apart from that generally midi vst is possible in mc 8 which is right but seems to have the restrictions I mentioned.
banzailoco

Post by banzailoco »

Sorry about that, forgot to put the link between the URL. :roll:
tatanka

Post by tatanka »

Thanks a lot for the link, as far as I understood the other thread it seems it is not possible to use it as I want it to be used :(

But would be great if someone could confirm that and explain a little why that dont work, as I said, I have never seen any daw that could not use the midi out from kontakt for example.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Some VSTi plugins pass along the MIDI to the next VSTi and some don't. Obviously, an arpeggiator should pass along the arpeggiated notes to the next VSTi. In the case of the Kontakt VSTi, it must not be doing that, so you would need a different kind of routing.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll pass it along!

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
tatanka

Post by tatanka »

Hi Greg,

thanks for the answer and for passing it along.

I have investigated a little bit more on this kontakt midi out problem and I found a workaround for that one but still it is a little strange how mixcraft behaves in this case.

If you like you might have a try for yourself:

- the one I am talking about is SARP from Channel Robol and it is an absolute great free sequencer (so you might just download from Channel Robot) they use in their other libraries. Maybe the problem is that it had some example samples in it for playback too if you want a quick check on the generated sequences so that mx might not recognize it as sequencer, I dont know. Normally if I put any vst instrument (kontakt or whatever) behind it (I must say all my other daw I use are straigth rack orientated so that you just put a midi vst, vst instrument, vst effect just as you like one after another and routing works automatically) it just takes the midi from SARP and the audio output from the included example samples are muted. In mx there seems to be no way to mute that samples but if I just turn the volume from SARP down to zero it seems to work and the midi is forwarded to the next plugin coming.
banzailoco

Post by banzailoco »

My previous answer was wrong.

There's a free vst demo MT POWER DrumKit2, in settings there is an option to turn midi out on.

Link to How do I route MIDI to another track in Mixcraft 8
http://acoustica.com/kb/how-do-i-route- ... _1279.html

1 Route to track (you need a second instrument track)
2 Click the arrow under to select your vst instrument(check if it can send midi out)
3 Move the vst instrument to the top

You can repeat the steps to add more instruments
routemidi.jpg
routemidi.jpg (272.48 KiB) Viewed 2522 times