Which Midi Controller To Control Multiple Tracks At Once?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

AfxTwn

Which Midi Controller To Control Multiple Tracks At Once?

Post by AfxTwn »

Hi, I have recorded a long piece of audio (field recording of sounds outside my house) and want to put the recording on multiple tracks and assign different effects to each track but be able to trigger each track separately and have control over each tracks mute/solo, volume and possibly effects parameters and then be able to record my live triggering/performance into one final track. Is that at all possible in Mixcraft?

I guess I would need some kind of midi controller but I'm not sure which one. I was thinking maybe a Korg nanoKontrol 2 or maybe a Novation Launch Control XL or an Arturia BeatStep. I don't want to trigger loops as it is one long piece of audio that I want to play continuously and just manipulate soloing and muting and bringing in and out the different effects. Perhaps rather than putting the audio on separate tracks for separate effects, maybe I can just have one track but somehow bring in different effects and have those assigned to different buttons/knobs on the midi controller? Either way, I want to be able to record the overall performance and mix it down into one final track.

Can anyone help me please. Thanks.
jlouvar

Re: Which Midi Controller To Control Multiple Tracks At Once?

Post by jlouvar »

Out of curiosity, what did you use to record with out iin the field?
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
AfxTwn

Post by AfxTwn »

I just used a Zoom H1 Handy Recorder.
mick

Post by mick »

You can put each track into a performance panel slot and assign that slot to a midi controller.
In the pic I assigned C to play slot 1 and C# to stop.
Slot 2 assigned to D and D# to stop
slot 3 to F and F# to stop etc
E is missed because there is no E# (although technically its an F)
You can split a track into parts using the scissors (CNTRL + ALT) and drag each part to the slots, either vertically or horizontally meaning you can play any section of a track as shown in track 5 by assiging each part to a pad or key.
Slot 5 has been split into 7 sections or parts.
For instance, the 5 row section is assigned to A/B/C/D/E/F/G in the next octave and A# stops any section along slot 5.
You can use the midi button to assign stop or solo or mute.
Can't fiddle out how to play and record the tracks simultaneously though. 8)
pp.PNG
pp.PNG (134.52 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Also you should be able to connect the Zoom H1 to your PC (or use a card reader), open an MX8 project, open the Zoom folder and drag and drop the audio files into MX8.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
AfxTwn

Post by AfxTwn »

@Mick Thanks very much for the advice and picture, that seems like something I could do from a performance standpoint by assigning certain parts of the audio track to certain keys on a controller for playback and I'm sure you can record your overall performance of triggering loops etc.

@Jlouvar Yes the Zoom H1 is a handy piece of kit, I have a card reader though so I can just pop the microSD card into that and copy the files over. You can also use the H1 as an audio interface too.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can MIDI map the performance panel to your PC keyboard if you want.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
AfxTwn

Post by AfxTwn »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

You can MIDI map the performance panel to your PC keyboard if you want.

Greg
Thanks Greg I will try that for the time being and see about getting a midi controller to control some other elements other than just triggering loops/samples. What I really want is control over the effects so I can trigger a loop/sample but have control over the individual effects for each loop I switch to as I want to record the performance of me manipulating the effects as the background sound will be relatively the same for each sample I trigger in the performance panel. I would prefer to do this in real time rather than automating the changes so it has more of a live and improvised feel.