Philharmonik 2-CE crashing MixCraft-8 Pro!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

squeakie

Re: Philharmonik 2-CE crashing MixCraft-8 Pro!

Post by squeakie »

Yes.., and I may have isolated the problem. Need to run a quick test.

Sqk
Acoustica Greg wrote:
squeakie wrote:Wow! I still have MixCraft 7, so I tried it out, and no fatal errors or crashes. For now, it’s running fine. I’ll just use MC7 when I want to work with Philharmonik 2. Glad I didn’t delete it :D

Sqk
Hi,

Oh, that's very interesting. Thanks for passing it along. I'll add it to the bug report.

Are you using the same sound device and Sound Device preferences settings in Mixcraft 7?

Greg
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Found something interesting Greg!

Under MixCraft 7 when I open an instance of Philharmonik 2, I noticed in the mixer there are TWO parts to each instance each with a slider. Main part titled Philharmonik 2 and the other something to do with I/O audio. A plus icon also appears and referenced “children tracks”.

This doesn’t happen in MixCraft 8. That separate I/O “children track” doesn’t appear at all, and the mixer shows just Philharmonik 2, and doesn’t have the separate audio “child track” I assume. Hope this helps.

Sqk
Last edited by squeakie on Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

You probably just have it set differently. You could try setting the outputs the same way in Mixcraft 8 to see if that prevents the crash.

Here's a graphic showing how to configure multiple outs:

Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

I’f that’s the case then what changed in 8 all of a sudden. MC7 did that routing automatically. I’m assuming the other member who’s past project open and play had MC8 do it automatically too, then something changed.

Sqk
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Not sure. Check it out and see if adding outputs in Mixcraft 8 makes a difference. Or if Philharmonik even shows up as a multi-out VSTi.

Greg
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

It worked..., had to add the outputs. MC7 automatically assigned them, but 8 is not, or possibly did, but something has changed.., but it is working now. Just have to remember to assign the outputs now. Thx Greg for your help.

Sqk
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Wow, thanks for testing this. So, the other question would be this: does Mixcraft 7 crash if you turn off the outputs?

Also, see how there's an option at the bottom of the Output Channel dialog that says: "Automatically add all instrument output tracks for Virtual Instruments?" You could put a checkmark next to that box.

Greg
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

This is interesting!

Under MixCraft 7, if you load Philharmonik 2, load a sound into the player, with the output “unchecked” you get no sound at all. I didn’t even bother trying to record since the output is gone.

However, in MixCraft 8, you can load Philharmonik 2, then load a sound into the player, not have an output assigned, and still hear the sound you play. It will crash upon playback without the assigned output. Interesting....

Sqk
Northfield.Lenox

Re: Philharmonik 2 crashing MixCraft-9 Pro!

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

Hi

This issue appears unresolved in Mixcraft 9:

Miroslav 2 - works fine as standalone instrument outside Mixcraft.
Mixcraft 9 - New Project - Crashes when selecting Miroslav 2 "Options" button.
Mixcraft 9 - New Project - Miroslav works until playing back a midi track. Error - "A failure has been detected in the instrument "Philharmonik 2 This Plug-in has been muted"
Mixcraft 9 - When opening an older template from Mixcraft 8 prior to the issues coming up - the instrument works fine. Selecting the Options button still causes a crash.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We looked into it, and Philharmonik 2 just crashes. We don't think there is anything we can do to prevent it from crashing on our end. I wonder if they will patch it? Be sure to report this problem to them.

Greg
Northfield.Lenox

Philharmonik 2-CE crashing MixCraft-8 Pro!

Hi

Received feedback with IK Multimedia on this. Tried using the instrument in Sample Tank 3 environment rather that the Miroslav instrument, but the same issue arose. They feel that since I am able to use the instrument in Mixcraft 8 and 9 with an old template - then the issue resides with Acoustica.

I guess as long as the old template works and I always open new projects with it I am ok, otherwise will need to look at replacing the DAW or the Orchestral Library.
Attachments
SAmple Tank.PNG
SAmple Tank.PNG (139.13 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
mick

Post by mick »

Not getting any issues that I can see with Sampletank 3 vst and vst3.

Only way I can record onto multiple tracks is by NOT using lanes but outputs 1&2 3&4 etc but I cannot see where it makes any sense, I may as well just put ST on a single track and assign multiple instruments within the Sampletank gui, then add effects within the gui. As I mentoned before (a few times) lanes do not work with multi out vst's, you need midi tracks.
The alternative to midi tracks (and in reality is pretty much the same) is to start with a single track and put Sampletank on that, then duplicate the track for as many instances as is required, so if you need 3 string, 4 woodwind, and piano you need to duplicate 7 times. then assign one instrument to each instance of ST. Taking the time to make a template may be worthwhile as practiced by proffesionals, sometimes taking up a lot of time irrespective of the daw, midi tracks is a bit quicker and more convenient with the same result.
Sampletank 3.PNG
Sampletank 3.PNG (294.12 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
Here is what a project using midi tracks would look like but in this instance I duplicated an empty Sampletank 3 instance, the thing about this method is you can edit every single instrument wearas recording onto lanes or outputs you cannot because the recorded data is exactly the same on every instrument track and not editable indevidually. Another method is to use a single instance of Sampletank (or other) for brass, another instance for string etc thus being similar to puting tracks into a submix, each instance is in effect a submix containing a number of instruments playing the same notes/phrases etc.
St 3 midi tracks.PNG
St 3 midi tracks.PNG (72.06 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
Northfield.Lenox

Thanks for the feedback - however the issue an error that mutes Miroslav as soon as you try and play back a midi track, whether set up for multi-timbre or not. Also an immediate crash if you try and select the options icon.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You don't have any of those problems with the old template? What's different about that template?

Greg
Northfield.Lenox

All I remember is I made it back in MC 8 after having issues. I think I opened an old project that had worked, and deleted all the midi info to use as a 'clean sheet'. It opens with Miroslav already loaded in multi-timbral format.