Mixcraft 8 Guitar Amp Settings

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Beneyni

Mixcraft 8 Guitar Amp Settings

Post by Beneyni »

Hey guys I just recently bought mixcraft pro Studio 8 and im trying to figure out how to create a decent sounding rock guitar. Im not satisfied at all with any of the sounds and was wondering if anybody knows some tricks or tips. I have my guitar plunged straight into the USB slot using that rockboand cable that came with the game. Could that be the reason why it sounds bad?
jlouvar

Re: Mixcraft 8 Guitar Amp Settings

Post by jlouvar »

Beneyni wrote:Hey guys I just recently bought mixcraft pro Studio 8 and im trying to figure out how to create a decent sounding rock guitar. Im not satisfied at all with any of the sounds and was wondering if anybody knows some tricks or tips. I have my guitar plunged straight into the USB slot using that rockboand cable that came with the game. Could that be the reason why it sounds bad?
Hello and welcome to the Mixcraft forum.

I don’t know anything about the game or USB cable you’re referring too, but I recommend getting a good external audio interface (I use a 2nd gen Scarlett 2i4) and mic up your guitar amp.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

The Rockband cable will work but it's far from optimal, as Joe said an interface is the way to go. You can pick them up now for pretty cheap and your recording should go much more smoothly. The amp sim in MC is, imo, okay but there are other amp sim software out there that are much better than the stock version provided in MC, again, imo. Most offer a free trial.

M
musicuser99

Post by musicuser99 »

the problem is because the guitar pickups need a input impedance of 1 megaohm. good soundcards or mixer have a switch for that. micreophone and line have only impedance of 48 kiloohm. thats more than 20* less. the result is that your pickups produced a very deformed output. bass is low and noise is much. there is big diffrence

if you buy a interface you need look in specs or ask in the shop if it can switch to 1 megaohm impedance for guitars.not all interface support 1 megaohm impedance
Rolling Estonian

Any modern I/O won't need to switch anything, kiloohm, megaohm or otherwise. Download the drivers and the I/O will be plug and play.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Actually, some do have switches to toggle between mic level and inst. level, while some have dedicated inst. level inputs, which is what he is correctly describing. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

FWIW: My Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 has LINE/INST switches... Mic seems to work okay with either (although I use INST).
- Joe -

Rolling Estonian

There's a different switch than phantom power? Either way, don't think the OP needs to think about that kind of stuff.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

jlouvar wrote:FWIW: My Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 has LINE/INST switches... Mic seems to work okay with either (although I use INST).
Ideally, you should probably use Inst for the jack with an instrument and the XLR plug with a mic on those Joe.
Rolling Estonian wrote:There's a different switch than phantom power? Either way, don't think the OP needs to think about that kind of stuff.
Yeah, probably the basic answer is "it would be best to get an interface designed for inst. inputs" and go from there.
But whats the fun in not getting sidetracked? 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

My Audient has 1 JFET input on the front and 2 ins that can be either instrument or xlr, and only switch is 24v phantom switch for each channel. Easy as you can get I assume, which is great cause I need easy!

M
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

The 2nd gen Scarlett 2i4 has those multi-all-in-one (mic/line/inst) type inputs... and it does have a 48v phantom power on/off switch too.

But, I still recommend the OP using a mic on their guitar amp instead of going direct with an amp simulator (unless their gtr amp sounds like crap, lol).

EDIT: Oops, sorry about the sideways pic, lol.
Attachments
2i4.jpeg
2i4.jpeg (70.91 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
- Joe -

comedians

Post by comedians »

Just to chip my UR22 has 2 Mic inputs one of which can can be switched between low/high impedance which seems sensible to me, was always very common in the good old valve days.
musicuser99

Post by musicuser99 »

i find only a volume pedal compare video between pedals with low impedance input and high impedance output.

there can hear that the low impedance input pedal sound very diffrent in guitar. he do not play bass notes, but low bass is reduce too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jid_vJjBpGE