Is my laptop too old for music production?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

michel.goes.green

Post by michel.goes.green »

· HP-8760w | i7 2860qm | 16gb ram | 240gb SSD + 480gb SSD | AMD FirePro M5950.
· Windows 10 Pro.
· M-Audio 2x2M Audio Interface.
· Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio.
It had worked well for years but a couple of months ago there were several major problems:
1. The audio can only playback via audio interface in the Mixcraft studio. Every other activities like surfing the Youtube, listening to Music/watching Video on Media Player the sound will play on the laptop's speakers. I had tried every ways following the guide on the Internet but it wouldn't help.
2. The Chords/Pattern mode on the series Real Guitar/Real LPC won't play probably. Every other Solo mode tracks work fine, but the Chords/Pattern mode tracks play out of the beat.
3. It crashes too many times, whenever during the sessions or when I save the project.
I don't know if it is because of my hardware (Too old? Audio interface?) or the software, including Windows 10 (Damn!). If anybody has some experiences on this, please help!
Thank you!
Rolling Estonian

Re: Is my laptop too old for music production?

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Right click on the speaker icon, click on sounds, click on playback, click on your interface, set it to default, press properties, click on advanced and make sure your pc is the set to the same settings as your interface (ie: 24bit, 48000 hz etc) A good starting point is 16bit 44.1 hz. This 'should' make all audio come through your interface, YouTube etc.

M
mick

Post by mick »

I have the M-Audio 2x2 and it works fine in Mixcraft, I have an i5 compared to your i7 and 7 gb ram compared to your 16gb and have no problems at all. 8)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Make sure to download and install the latest driver from M-Audio's web page: https://m-audio.com/support/drivers-search

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Schmidi

Post by Schmidi »

I'm typing this on an HP 8770w (the 17" of what you have). These are great machines dude. Built like tanks, extremely user upgradable, and have a tone of useful I/O features. I've run two 8xxx HP laptops for paying gigs for the last five years. I absolutely swear by this line of computers.

1. Mixcraft is utilizing the MAudio ASIO drivers, Windows is parsing all other system/internet sounds to the internal/WASAPI driver > speakers. If you want BOTH Mixcraft and Windows to play from you speakers, disconnect the audio interface.

2. NO clue sorry

3. These are SOLID laptops, made with good components. In their day, they were $2000+ dollar business workstation computers (I also run a 8740p for my DJ rig that works flawlessly). I can almost guarantee you that performing a clean install of Windows 10 (10 works great in my experience BTW), and some optimizations will change your world.

Hit me up if you want help with that,
www.soundcloud.com/Schmidi_0
www.facebook.com/thedjschmidi
www.facebook.com/schmidi0
MPC Live, Arturia V Collection, Arturia SparkLE, Keylab 25, Quneo, Roland JD-XI
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

HP-8760w | i7 2860qm | 16gb ram | 240gb SSD + 480gb SSD | AMD FirePro M5950. Windows 10 Pro.
No.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar