Omni Sampler issue

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ianpb

Omni Sampler issue

Post by Ianpb »

Greg,

A while ago I pointed out an issue with OmniSampler in that it fades off too quickly, making it unsuitable for use with crash cymbal samples. I was asked in an email to provide a file to demonstrate this but I was about to leave for holiday and completely forgot about it on my return. However, if you load a file into OmniSampler that contains at least ten seconds of continual sound (such as a whole music track), then create a midi clip with a single continuous note that lasts for at least four measures, when you tap on the start of the note it will only last for about four seconds, which is not enough for a sustained crash. The maximum release time of the envelope is inadequate and requires the addition of a switch to at least double it.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Omni Sampler issue

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Send us a sound file that produces this problem and we'll check it out. If the sound file is larger than 8 MB or so, upload it to Dropbox or something.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Greg, there is no particular file that causes the problem; you can load an mp3 music file into OmniSampler in order to gauge the speed of the decay during playback. As I explained, create a midi clip with at least four measures containing whole notes that are tied so they produce a continuous sound across all the measures. With 'Release' set at maximum, when the note is activated with a momentary strike it will only last about four seconds.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

How long would the sound have to be to produce the problem? 10 seconds? Does a shorter sound work properly?

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Actually, I think I see what you're saying. I'll pass it along.

Greg
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

The sampled sound has to be longer than about four seconds to expose the problem. A crash cymbal hit hard can require about double that before it becomes inaudible. I first noticed the issue when I made my own crash sample that lasted about eight seconds and loaded it into OmniSampler. I then applied a compressor to achieve good audible sustain from a single strike, but OmniSampler would cut the sound off after four seconds rather than the full eight.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I see your reply. You obviously sent it whilst I was writing mine.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Mixcraft 9 Omni Sampler will have a longer release.