Loops / One-shots

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Kuba W

Loops / One-shots

Post by Kuba W »

Hi guys!

I've been using Mixcraft since v7, but not to often with the loop-samples and I'm a bit confused:
what makes some samples come to the timeline as loops and the others as one-shot?
I mean some samples come perfectly stretch to the bars, even if they are at different bpm than the project, and the others come as one-shot sound and even switching between project tempo / time stretch doesn't fit them in. The only way then is to change percentage below 'Original Clip Tempo'. It's less accurate and more time-consuming, so I would like to have them all time-stretched like it used to be in Acid.

Possible? Not possible? Am I missing something? 8)
Acoustica Greg

Re: Loops / One-shots

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Some of the sounds in Mixcraft's library are loops and some are samples. You can change your library setting to see just samples if you want. The samples are for Omni Sampler and other samplers. For example, a sample might be a snare drum hit. You would load it into Omni Sampler and play the snare hit with MIDI notes on a virtual instrument track. They aren't intended to loop.

Mixcraft's Alpha and Omni Sampler video tutorials.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

Ok, but I'm not talking only about Mixcrafts library, I've got collection of my own loops/samples too. And it's not about the lenght of sound also.

What determines sample to behave lika a loop?

Lets say, I'm building a drums at 91 bpm, then pick-up random bass at different tempo and it 'loops' and match the project, even if I change the project tempo later. Then I add random piano and it stays as 'long one-shot' at the timeline, not matching, not changing with the tempo change. If you press sound to match project tempo, the lenght of it changes, but still doesn't match the project.

Is it possible to automaticly match and loop any sample longer then drumhits?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Some audio files have tempo data, and some don't. Lots of audio clips don't. If there's no tempo data stored in the audio, then Mixcraft has to try to detect it. If the clip is super short, there might not be enough data to detect a beat. Or maybe the beat just isn't clear.

You can add a track marker and use the tap tempo option to try to figure out the BPM.

You can manually adjust the looping of an audio clip on the Sound Tab:

MP3 files are not good for looping, because they have header data that can mess looping up. That's why we provide ogg files. Wav files are fine, too. Acidized wav files have tempo data.

Greg
Kuba W

Post by Kuba W »

Yeah, probably it's some metadata matter.

I'm using only wav and ogg and shurely not mp3s for it :wink:
Loop start / loop end from your picture is not helping, because I don't want to cut off anything, It's already prepared to stay as it is. So looks like the only way to match the project is to change the percentage at the left side of 'sound' tab...

Anyway, thanks for the reply and keep doing the good work developing MixCraft! 5.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Moving the loop markers doesn't necessarily cut anything off, it just controls how the sound loops.

Greg
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

The first answer above implies that Mixcraft bases its loop/hit decision on whether it can find tempo information. Does the presence or absence of loop start/loop end metadata also affect this decision?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Basically, if a clip starts and ends offbeat, and you drag the end to the right, it will be offbeat.

Greg