How to connect Yamaha Motif Rack with Mixcraft?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

grumpysnake

How to connect Yamaha Motif Rack with Mixcraft?

Post by grumpysnake »

Hello guys,
I've finally been able to purchase my dream rack after 10 years the Yamaha Motif Rack, however I am unsure how I would be able to integrate it into my setup with Mixcraft. The rack has a USB socket which transfers midi signals as well as 5 pin analogue midi sockets and line outs. The current midi keyboard I have only has a USB midi port.
The question is, is it possible to use my MIDI keyboard to communicate to the rack through Mixcraft (through what I would presume would be MIDI thru) or would I need to connect directly to the midi ports on the rack and use the Line outs on it coming into an audio track. Not entirely worried about which way to do it just as long as I can get a hold of the classic sounds :mrgreen:

grumpysnake
Windows 10 Pro x64, AMD FX8350
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
MX7, MX8, Waves Mercury Bundle, Melodyne Assistant
Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 12
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V
jlouvar

Re: How to connect Yamaha Motif Rack with Mixcraft?

Post by jlouvar »

Hmm, the Yamaha manual should show you how too hook it up... yes/no?
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

Hi there,

You’ll need to connect the Motif-Rack ES to your setup for both MIDI and audio communication.

We are not sure how many USB ports you have available on your computer, or how you MIDI keyboard controller connects for MIDI, and without that information we could give you an answer but not be sure it would work for you.

But let’s assume you only have 1 USB port available and that your MIDI keyboard has actual MIDI jacks on the back.

Connect the 5-pin MIDI Out of the MIDI keyboard controller to the MIDI IN of the Motif-Rack ES.
Connect the Motif-Rack ES to your computer via a USB cable.
Download and install the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver for your computer type and operating system: here
This driver will allow the Motif-Rack ES communicate with the computer for MIDI.

It will also allow the MIDI controller to communicate with the computer by sending messages *through* the Rack ES to the computer... in the computer you can reroute the MIDI messages to trigger the Motif-Rack ES via a MIDI Track in Mixcraft.

The computer will see the Controller on the so called THRU PORT... in the Rack ES you will find the parameter setting for this THRU PORT (example, Port 4)

This means in order to play your controller and have the Rack ES sound, you must create a MIDI Track that takes input from the keyboard (using the Thru Port number you set in the Rack ES), and reroutes it back Out via MIDI on “Motif-R ES-1” Port 1

Set the Motif-Rack ES so MIDI IN/OUT = USB

Connect the audio Outputs of the Motif-Rack ES to two channels of your audio interface. I hope this helps!
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

grumpysnake wrote:
The question is, is it possible to use my MIDI keyboard to communicate to the rack through Mixcraft (through what I would presume would be MIDI thru) or would I need to connect directly to the midi ports on the rack and use the Line outs on it coming into an audio track. Not entirely worried about which way to do it just as long as I can get a hold of the classic sounds :mrgreen:

grumpysnake
You should be able to do it both ways. To go thru Mixcraft, first you have to install the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/content ... otif-rack+

After that open up a virtual instrument/midi track and as a input choose your keyboard and as a virtual instrument choose external midi device and then the Yamaha ( page 107 of manual ). Make sure you have the correct midi channel selected. Open up a new audio track and record what ever channel the output of the Yamaha is going to your interface.
grumpysnake

Post by grumpysnake »

Hello Guys,
Thanks for your replies, I will try these methods out as soon as I have a chance to and will let you know the results!
Thanks again,
grumpysnake 8)
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

You did not say which one you got, ES or XS?

I have the Roland Integra, you can actually send audio through the USB on it but you have to have it set up as your audio interface and I have a better interface with more ins and outs and do not use it that way at the moment.

Looks like no more VST instruments and Kontakt libraries for you for the time being! 8)
grumpysnake

Post by grumpysnake »

Hi GovernmentMule,

It would definitely make a change from the virtual instruments thats for sure! Looking forward to using it going forward for productions. In regards to your question I have neither the ES or XS as those were slightly more expensive since they had to come from Japan, I have the first generation Motif-Rack all the way from 2001 :mrgreen:

grumpysnake
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

How will you be recording with it? Are you going to simply record the audio into MC or will you use MC as a midi sequencer? The reason I ask is because I’m fairly certain the original Motif Rack also has a software editor. If you’re midi recording the editor should show up like a VST within MC.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
grumpysnake

Post by grumpysnake »

squeakie wrote:How will you be recording with it? Are you going to simply record the audio into MC or will you use MC as a midi sequencer? The reason I ask is because I’m fairly certain the original Motif Rack also has a software editor. If you’re midi recording the editor should show up like a VST within MC.

Sqk
Hi Squeakie,
I don't really mind either as a midi sequencer or via audio. The result does not bother me too much, I did know that there is software but I didn't know you could use it as a VST inside Mixcraft. How would one go about using it in there would you just add it to a Instrument Track?

grumpysnake :o
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Just downloaded the editor for the rack. It should have options when downloading such as VST ect. When you open up the Editor you’ll have access to all 16 parts of a performance. You’ll simply make sure all your midi chans for each part are set appropriately. This set up takes a huge burden off your computer if you choose the midi seq because all of the sounds and effects processing will be handled by the rack, plus you’ll have a lot of editing options per part too once you get into the piano roll.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
grumpysnake

Post by grumpysnake »

squeakie you are an absolute legend! Thank you everyone who helped me out on here grumpysnake is one happy guy!!

Regards
grumpysnake 8)
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V