MC9 Micro Fade

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

aj113

MC9 Micro Fade

Post by aj113 »

It's enabled in the preferences but I don't see any micro fades, either on new clips or on edited clips.
Acoustica Greg

Re: MC9 Micro Fade

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Look for tiny triangles in the upper corners of clips with micro-fades. The (5 ms) micro-fades themselves happen before or after any clip automation, so you don't have to fiddle around with them when doing other clip envelope stuff.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Look for tiny triangles in the upper corners of clips with micro-fades...
I'm not seeing anything.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Page 99 of the help manual has a picture of the teeny-tiny micro fade indicators, but here's another one:

Micro Fade indicators.
Micro Fade indicators.
microfadeindicators.png (50.42 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

OK got it now thank you. It works through the sound/audio tabs, but checking 'apply micro fade to new audio clips' in the preferences doesn't seem to have any effect. This is why I wasn't seeing anything.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

The micro fade is not actually working on some clips. See the attached edits. The first channel has MC9 auto micro fades, the second channel has the same parts but I manually micro-faded them.

I suspect the problem is that at 5ms the MC9 micro fade is a bit too micro. Maybe we could have a user-definable option for the length of fade?

https://we.tl/t-CncwviaCZd
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yup, just keep in mind that it is only a 5 ms fade. If you have a 300 ms blip, it's not going to be covered.

But on the other hand, you probably don't want to put 300 ms fades on every single audio clip. Sometimes you'll still have to manually fix it.

Others have suggested making the amount variable, since 5 ms is pretty tiny. I'll make sure that this is logged as an official feature request.

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Thanks Greg.
The thing is, if the fade is not actually eliminating the click at the ends of the clip - for whatever reason - then it is not serving its purpose, and that's a real shame, since I've waited five years for this!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

aj113 wrote:Thanks Greg.
The thing is, if the fade is not actually eliminating the click at the ends of the clip - for whatever reason - then it is not serving its purpose, and that's a real shame, since I've waited five years for this!
Hi,

I can definitely hear the micro fade working on some of the clips in your project (for example, at the end of the third clip in track 1). The idea is that this feature would help with brief transients, but it's not going to cover every single instance, because you wouldn't want to apply a huge fade to every single clip.

I've logged a feature request to make the amount variable, but if you had to pick a single value, what would you choose? 10 ms?

Greg
tealmandala

Post by tealmandala »

Might we see an update in the future to add a batch edit option / more control of the parameters (duration, contour)?? Correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem this still needs to be done on an individual basis?
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:54 am

I've logged a feature request to make the amount variable, but if you had to pick a single value, what would you choose? 10 ms?

Greg
Didn't see this, sorry Greg. Difficult to say without actually trying it. I think 10ms would be an improvement on 5ms though.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

tealmandala wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:12 pm Might we see an update in the future to add a batch edit option / more control of the parameters (duration, contour)?? Correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem this still needs to be done on an individual basis?
Select all clips (CTRL+a) and add the micro fade as you would with a single clip.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

aj113 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:34 pm Didn't see this, sorry Greg. Difficult to say without actually trying it. I think 10ms would be an improvement on 5ms though.
HI,

I'll suggest that.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're going to try 10ms as of future build 447.

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Good call Greg, many thanks.