VST locations

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mab098157

VST locations

Post by Mab098157 »

Upgraded to 9 pro. In the process of setting up I noticed missing VSTs. My version of 8 pro 32 bit has some that my MC 8 64 bit version doesn't have. 9 pro was missing some from those. MC 7 has some that none of them have.

I'm sure having multiple version installed is not ideal, but when frustrated with the performance of the others I can always drop down to my MC7 and restore my sanity and faith.

I compared the folders listed in each and just added the missing folders to list in 9. Subsequently during the rescan I noticed several VSTs being "read" 2 or 3 times.

Does this contribute to performance issues?

Can I create 1 folder, manually place the dll's or reinstall VST into this folder exclusively?

Should I still allow NI and others to create their own folders?

If I add additional VST is it beneficial to choose the 3rd party folder during install?
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Acoustica Greg

Re: VST locations

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You shouldn't move the files around for a complex plugin. I mean, some plugins are just one DLL file, you could move those, but others have sample libraries and other supporting files, and if you move files around, you could break them.

I generally let the plugins install where they want to install, and then just go into Plug-Ins preferences to make sure the VST folder is listed under "Edit VST/VSTi Folders."

If you want to install them them in one place, don't put them in Mixcraft's thirdparty program files folder, put them here:

C:\Program Files(x86)\VST\

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mab098157

Re: VST locations

Post by Mab098157 »

Thanks Greg
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind