Mixer color...

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Reactorone

Mixer color...

Post by Reactorone »

Hi,

What do you think about coloring the mixer in an upcoming update?
I find it much easier to find where there are a lot of tracks.
Attachments
m9-complete-recording-studio.jpg
m9-complete-recording-studio.jpg (414.38 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Mixcraft Pro Studio 9 64-Bit Build 436
Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 - 16 MB
Presonus Studio 24c / ADAM Audio T5V
Gibson SG 1983
sjoens

Re: Mixer color...

Post by sjoens »

The option to go either way would be cool. But not one or the other.

BTW, the pic reminds me of Studio One.
Last edited by sjoens on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The color at the bottom of each mixer channel isn't enough?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mtntracks

Post by mtntracks »

That's a great suggestion - the more (and larger) the visual cues the better, for us highly visual learners. :-)

Another idea that I've wanted along those lines is the ability to color, or shade, *vertical* sections much like tracks are colored horizontally. This could be used for example to denote verse, bridge, chorus, etc, sections across all tracks. Basically you would highlight the area, right click, and select the color, (or to shade it), for that vertical section that runs across multiple tracks. A more specific application of this idea might be the ability to color individual clips, so that you might have different colored clips (i.e., verse bridge chorus), on the same track. I believe flags might be utilized currently to denote sections, but again any additional visual clues just helps it make more sense for us visual learners.

Great job on the redesign though! Big improvement in my opinion.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:33 am Hi,

Greg
The mixer color is a computed RGB value and not a static image, right? What if there was an option in Interface preferences where users could choose to have the track color show in the mixer, and have them set the saturation amount?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's certainly doable.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:33 am Hi,

Greg
Yes I think it is, so I rather have the Mixcraft software developers work on something more useful like mixer snapshot instead of wasting valuable time with just more colors.
Last edited by jlouvar on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

jlouvar wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:06 pm snapshot
From Progressive?
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

mtntracks wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:03 pm Another idea that I've wanted along those lines is the ability to color, or shade, *vertical* sections much like tracks are colored horizontally. This could be used for example to denote verse, bridge, chorus, etc, sections across all tracks. Basically you would highlight the area, right click, and select the color, (or to shade it), for that vertical section that runs across multiple tracks. A more specific application of this idea might be the ability to color individual clips, so that you might have different colored clips (i.e., verse bridge chorus), on the same track. I believe flags might be utilized currently to denote sections, but again any additional visual clues just helps it make more sense for us visual learners.
Not to side rail this thread but the current Markers could be a bit thicker and longer, maybe even extending the length of their section.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
DjinnMansoor

Post by DjinnMansoor »

I wholeheartedly agree that the more options we have for visual cues, the better. Other DAWs also this much to the benefit of many of their users.
Snapshots are a must, and a much larger undertaking to implement, but why exactly do these discussions always have to deevolve into either one or the other?

Developers CAN actually multitask and prioritize, you know. And why can't we make the developers aware of a need that a certain amount of their userbase has? It's not like they're going to say "oh, sorry we can't implement snapshots because, a certain amount of users requested more visual cues, sorry." Really.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

DjinnMansoor wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:09 am I wholeheartedly agree that the more options we have for visual cues, the better. Other DAWs also this much to the benefit of many of their users.
Snapshots are a must, and a much larger undertaking to implement, but why exactly do these discussions always have to deevolve into either one or the other?

Developers CAN actually multitask and prioritize, you know. And why can't we make the developers aware of a need that a certain amount of their userbase has? It's not like they're going to say "oh, sorry we can't implement snapshots because, a certain amount of users requested more visual cues, sorry." Really.
Yeah I agree Mixer Snapshots are a must. However Acoustica is a small company with limited time/money. End result... We got color changes instead of Snapshots with Mixcraft 9. :(
Last edited by jlouvar on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Joe -

jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Anorax wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:40 am
jlouvar wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:06 pm snapshot
From Progressive?
mick wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:14 am
jLouvar wrote: The ability to quickly save, recall and store several different mixes of a recording project BEFORE committing to mixing down to MP3, Wave, etc files
I put in a suggestion years ago for "mixer snapshots" sounds like you are requesting the same. Good luck with that one! 8)

mixer.PNG
Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!
Report Quote
Post by mick » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:36 am

A snapshot in this case lets you try different mixes, fx, eq settings and all sorts of wonderful things etc before you decide which one to mixdown, 4 band eq gives frequency and db, in fact any mixer setting or track parameters. You can click on any of 8 snapshots for instant A-B comparison or in this case A - H. Its an amazing feature. You can save the raw project before mixdown and come back and start again should you have second thoughts. Would put Mixcraft on another level from the antique Fisher Price mixer . :D
Attachments
357F1160-D044-4438-A09C-9E9F8D6B2E2D.png
357F1160-D044-4438-A09C-9E9F8D6B2E2D.png (68.36 KiB) Viewed 3899 times
Last edited by jlouvar on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

I’m guessing the flexibility of CSS is not native to C++ which is why it is a major undertaking to change the entire visual ‘engine’ of a 10+ year old program.

Perhaps there is a C++ library out there that would expedite the task.

-Nathan
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

DjinnMansoor wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:09 am Developers CAN actually multitask and prioritize, you know. And why can't we make the developers aware of a need that a certain amount of their userbase has? It's not like they're going to say "oh, sorry we can't implement snapshots because, a certain amount of users requested more visual cues, sorry." Really.
This is the internet, what did you expect?

Besides, jlouvar, we don't know that the developer in charge of visual changes to mixcraft is the also the guy (or gal) responsible for the audio engine. It's entirely possible that both solutions can be worked on at the same time by different developers. I never understand this petty "ugh why can't we with on ACTUAL IMPORTANT THINGS instead of whatever you think" attitude, especially if "actual important things" aren't actually recognized as being important by the community writ large, especially if people don't know what you're referring to.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Anorax wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:40 am
Besides, jlouvar, we don't know that the developer in charge of visual changes to mixcraft is the also the guy (or gal) responsible for the audio engine. It's entirely possible that both solutions can be worked on at the same time by different developers. I never understand this petty "ugh why can't we with on ACTUAL IMPORTANT THINGS instead of whatever you think" attitude, especially if "actual important things" aren't actually recognized as being important by the community writ large, especially if people don't know what you're referring to.
Anorax the above was only my opinion.

Anyway all Acoustica employees get paid from the same resource and the company is small so resource money is limited... Acoustica already did an excellent job with the visual changes in Mixcraft 9, so rather than waste funds on just more color changes, in my opinion the funds would be better spent on more useful/important things. Mixer snapshots is only one example. BTW: I’m not saying your suggestion is bad, in fact I think having your suggestion added as an opinion is good.

Joe

Edit: PS, if you don’t know what Mixer Snapshots are, checkout this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef3I4wb4Q-s
Of course it also needs to save automation too. :wink:
- Joe -