Midi Routing

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

shayneoneill

Midi Routing

Post by shayneoneill »

So the big show stopper for v8 (And to be clear I adored everything else about it) was the innability to route midi from out of an Audio trac to a midi track.

This might seem a strange usecase, but I like to do guitar synth for a lot of my stuff, and Jam Audios Midi Guitar is the king of this. You feed a guitar signal into it, and get out a polyphonic midi output.

The problem is I couldn't find a way to do this at all in v8 and reverted back to Studio 1. There was hints that this would be addressed in v9.

Has this been sorted out? I'd love to come back into the fold, but this is bit of a show stopper for me. (There was a suggestion to use it stand alone and use a midi routing tool to reroute it back into the DAW, BUT I couldnt convince my Saffire audio drivers to route the audio to the stand alone app.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Midi Routing

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Not in Mixcraft 9.0, but maybe in Mixcraft 9.x?

But you should download Mixcraft 9 and try it anyway.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
RobAsticles

Post by RobAsticles »

I have found a solution for any kind of midi routing using a nowadays freeware plugin:

i is called "Element" or "kv_element" and it is a very powerful metaplugin-vst (32/64bit or VST3)

it was once very expensive (too expensive) payware, but the author releades it as opensource a few weeks ago.

you can get it from: https://kushview.net/element/

Now for the solution:
(after installation of Element start it as standalone, configure your plugin paths and scan for your vst-plugins)
in Mixcraft:
1) select the kv_elementFX vst as an effect in the audio-track
2) open the element-fx and insert your audio-to-midi plugin and the synth-plugin of your choice.
3) Connect the audio-inputs with your plugin, then connect the midi-out with the midi-in of your synth-plugin. connect the synth-plugin audio-outs with the audio Outputs of Element.

This way, the audio will converted to midi and sent to your synth-plugins.

There is even a way to sendt the midi back to mixcraft, using a virtual midi cable (e.g. LoopMIDI). Just add a new MidiOutput in Element (right-click with mouse on an empty spot) and connect it. There is however a little latency between input and midi-output.This way it is however very easy to record the created midi-notes in Mixcraft in an new track (using the loopMidi as Input).

Maybe this Tool (or its routing possibilitys) could be integrated in Mixcraft. This would solve also the midi-arpeggiator problem in most arp plugins when all the notes are played when hitting the chord, even when only or no note should play according the the arpeggiation.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio does have a "Convert Audio to MIDI" feature. Just record your guitar, then right-click on the audio clip and select that option. It uses Melodyne Essentials to create MIDI notes.

Greg
RobAsticles

Post by RobAsticles »

Hi Greg,

unfortunately the audio-to-midi solution in Mixcraft 9 doesn't work real-time or polyphonic.
And if somebody already owns a working plugin (e.g. WIDI Audio To MIDI VST ) he/she will not invest in a polyphonic version of melodyne.

My solution in FREE and working.

Best regards
Rob
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Hi,

The good part is that an improved MIDI routing feature would solve not only this problem but those who are using chord/arpeggio generating VSTi plugins, so the combined benefit might bump the matter further up the priority list!

Best,

Nathan
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's an official feature request.

Greg
shayneoneill

Post by shayneoneill »

Conceptually it seems easy enough. Midi outs from VSTs exposed as Midi ins. As to what the implementation difficulty is, well thats not for me to say, but it seems like it ought be easy enough?
uchmania

Post by uchmania »

Still waiting for this feature.

This is the major show stopper switching to mixcraft as my main Daw.
heks

Post by heks »

As a visual implementation, the way Mulab/MUX, DDMF, Element (and some others that I cant bring to mind) do it with virtual midi cables on an additional "page", "section" or whatever you want to call it.. Which is then visually easy to see "whats going where" and they can be dragged to where you want (within sensible midi limitations). Whatever comes along, I'd like the existing way of sidechaining to stay as its so very easy to implement. I suppose not breaking backward compatibility or introducing new problems with these kinds of request are the developers nightmare. :twisted: :D
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

The OP mentioned Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar. On MIDI Guitar 2 the interface tab allows you to play live to MIDI. Choose MIDI Interface. Select an output port. On mixcraft arm a midi track and choose the input port to match the ouput port of Jam Origins MIDI Guitar. Hit Record in Mixcraft, play your guitar and it will record MIDI.

If your audio interface can manage low latency, you can record your live guitar on one track and your vst/MIDI on another simultaneously on two separate tracks. You can do this with vocals too.