I want a clean install

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

freightgod

I want a clean install

Post by freightgod »

After messing about with 9 a bit I've uninstalled all previous versions as I'd like to install 9 Pro Studio fresh and not be distracted by all the stuff 9 retained from my previous install. I've deleted as many orphan folders as I could find, including VST folders on my Windows drive (I have a folder on a separate drive with all my old VSTs just in case), but after a 9 reinstall the instrument preset list still shows all my old vsts (grrr yes they are accessible), recently used effects, etc. It remembers the defaults from my previous 9 install as well (time signature, tempo, etc.)

What do I have to wipe to make my PC forget that I ever had Mixcraft of any sort on my computer???? I don't want Mixcraft to scan my archived VST folder either. I'm trying to clean things up.
outteh

Re: I want a clean install

Post by outteh »

You'll probably have to go in and clean up the registry after the uninstall as it does not get completely cleaned out under normal uninstall. Also , any folders labeled Mixcraft or Acoustica must go. Then do a clean install! :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Files would also be here:

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\

and here:

C:\Programdata\Acoustica\Mixcraft\

The uninstaller only uninstalls stuff that it installs, so custom presets, etc. would not be uninstalled. Which, for most people, is a good thing.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Thanks, Greg, that helped. Now I can see what is stock and what isn't, cleared up a lot of clutter.

Still, all the settings in the Preferences panel remained, like VST folder location, project default settings etc. Weird.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You ran the uninstaller?

Mixcraft will look for the default VST folder on a computer if one is set. That's independent of Mixcraft.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

You will not get a clean install by the "normal" rout. even with an unistall process there are files lurking in the darkest places of windows. You need to download voidtolls "search everything" and type Mixcraft 9 in the search box at the top left. Also, type Mixcraft 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, or whatever and the program will send a search party to find whatever you wish to delete. You will find variations of a program in many places that need to go.
R/ click and select "delete" if it refuses to delete select "path" or restart computer to stop running programs or try task manager to stop a program running CTRL + ALT + DEL.
Be careful you do not choose a program in the download folder if you need to keep it and not download again, I put all downloads in a zip file if they are not already in one, and copy to a different partition or drive. Restart when finished.
"https://www.voidtools.com/
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

All sorted now, thanks all.

I'm curious why the uninstall process isn't programmed to go after all the files Acoustica must know it has planted in the first place?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

For one thing, most people would prefer not to overwrite their settings and preferences upon updating or upgrading versions.
Another is that it is a little complicated how the DAW interacts with Windows filing and plug in folders and..... Stuff. :lol:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Yes, Mark, I can see that most people (me too!) prefer to keep settings when upgrading or even reinstalling. It shouldn't be that hard to program as an option in the uninstall routine, I think I'll post it as a feature request.