New computer - issues upon issues

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

New computer - issues upon issues

Post by BillW »

I guess this is more a rant or frustration.

And it definitely is not a criticism of Mixcraft whatsoever.

More it's venting on the insane way certain products (which I've paid good money for) cannot be used on my new computer. At least, I'm be (darned) if I can see how.

Bass Rider and GTR from Waves. OK - I had to transfer the license to the new machine. Not too difficult. But then in Waves Central the software does not show up - only the license. How do I download / install? I'm afraid the answer is I can't since these are older versions. Worse, I see no way to even upgrade without buying some huge bundle I don't need.

Similar for Chris Hein Horns. Though I believe they use Kontakt / and that's in iLok? To be honest I have no idea where to start with that.

The point being I don't have download files for these like I do for other (non-music related) programs

Oh by the way, ezdrummer was a breeze.

Sure, I guess I should have taken detailed notes the first time I did it (though I'm not sure that helps). I'm afraid my only approach will be to work with the support staff in each case.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
BillW

Re: New computer - issues upon issues

Post by BillW »

Update -
iLok was for a B3 emulator I bought; I have the zip files and I have one more license I can use for it; that should be ok

Similar with Chris Hein; I see there is a Native Instruments license manager so that might take care of it. I have the install files.

The issue is with Waves (GTR and Bass rider); I might have to buy new versions (30 each) which is upsetting but I'll wait and see what support says. I may be looking for an alternative to GTR

It's not at all easy to move to a new computer, that's for sure. The good news is my projects are all intact because they were all in the document folder and I copied that file for file. And the regular VSTs and VSTis copied fine from the program folders

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Hey Bill,

Welcome back!

Contact Waves about your plugins, they just went to 11 and had a ton of complications with older plugs, you don't have to buy new ones. Check their faq and then support, they'll take care of it. FWIW I use Amplitube for my sim, the Fender package is awesome, the twin is my go to.

M
BillW

Post by BillW »

Thanks all

I got Chris Hein Horns working (native/kontakt) along with mb-33 (through ilok)

Waiting to hear from waves support on gtr (and bass rider)

Also izotope support for neutron and other related plug ins I bought from them

Frustrating but I'll get through it presumably

BillW

Post by BillW »

Update -
Everthing is working fine EXCEPT the waves plugins (bass rider and gtr)

I have older versions (I think 7 or 8 ). The waves central app shows the licenses and I've transferred to the new machine. But they don't show under install

As much as I truly hate to do this on principle, I may simply buy the latest versions. Right now they are 30 each

That's a great price for what gtr gives you compared to alternatives. Amplitube may be superior, but the cost is much more

Bass rider is perfect for me. As I play I rarely get a consistent sound (pluck too hard at times, barely brush the string other times if it's a quick part). Bass rider smooths it out very well

I've sent two emails to support now in the last week. I realize it's the holidays but I'd expect some response by now

I'll give it a couple days more, but I have a feeling somehow the answer is going to be I won't be able to load these versions on my machine

For those not familiar with how waves works, I don't have any files from them. I never erase download files and in fact I back them up. All I have is the waves central app from which installs take place. Again, the licenses were transferred to my new computer but nothing shows up as installable.

So I suspect / fear their answer will be "we no longer supply those files because they are 3 or 4 versions old"

Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Call them on Monday, they'll share your screen and set it up for you, you own those plugins. I'm sure if you went to their forum of fb page you could probably find your answers there too. That way you can buy Amplitube in good conscious!

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Migrating to a new computer can be a pita, but it can also provide an opportunity for some much needed "house cleaning" in my experience! :wink:

I think you are describing a similar experience to mine-
When you install new Waves versions, or updates- there is the possibility of causing old versions to be broken due to their stupid (IMO) update scheme. I like several of their products a lot, but between the installation hassles and the WUP silliness they have left me frustrated on multiple occasions.

But anyway, heres some potentially helpful details:
Any older versions with expired WUP status are likely not showing up because of your updated Waves shell status. The verbiage of their presentation is intended to lead you toward paying to update to current WUP status, but this is misleading. Of course they encourage using the latest shell versions and keeping all your WUP coverage current......

You can install and run the legacy versions, and you can have both versions installed, enabling both current versions and older versions to be used just fine.
If you fish around their site you can find this out, but its kind of buried.

I found this all out first hand, because I made the mistake of updating, unaware that it would "break" all my "expired" versions. It took me a while, and It took some assistance from them to get it all sorted out.
They were actually very helpful, and at one point we installed a small app that allowed a technician to explore my folders and fix/verify installation issues to get everything working. They were great!

But I still take the position that I purchased the product, and it was not a lease. Paying more for minor updates, or for that matter- to remain functional, is a bad practice and leaves a bad taste.
But I learned that you can purchase and install new product without breaking the old, by simply ignoring the prompts pushing the latest versions.
When the installer points out that new versions are available, ignore it and continue the installation. It works.

But yet as I said..... I like some of their products a lot...... I just choose to let the update plans expire and use what I bought for now. As a hobbyist, paying to stay current isnt a good investment IMO. Maybe my perspective would change if this was a business for me.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
BillW

Post by BillW »

Well I got impatient because my time on holiday vacation is rapidly running out; I just saw your very helpful message Mark - but not before I updated anyway. Everything works fine now.

It only cost me $22 total to update both Bass Rider and GTR3 from whatever versions I had to version 11. Still annoying as you say that in effect I was "renting" those versions - good until I switched computers.

I was not able to talk to a support person today because they said Saturdays are reserved for live music issues only. It wasn't even clear that they would help me anyway since their website said you have to have current support (which expires after a year and mine expired some time ago.)

So yeah, I paid to upgrade rather than wait to see if they'd help me.

I found no way to install my older version through Waves Central even though the license shows. I have no install files. I believe from what you say there may be a way - and it may have taken tech support to show me though.

$22 to upgrade didn't strike me as too expensive - though I have to wonder if I got ANYTHING for that. That is, is version 11 any different at all?

Anyway I'm good now until I get yet another new computer I guess. I don't plan on expending this update thing until I'm in the same situation. And if/when I am, I will know to try to head this off by contacting them first.

Thanks again all!

PS - I got an email that gave me a code to apply the total $22 toward any other Wave product. Not sure I want to do that though.

Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Well I regret that I didn't see this thread before now, but Waves allows you to download the legacy Waves Central manager, which can be used to install older versions of Waves plugins.
BillW

Post by BillW »

No worries Anorax - but thanks!

As Mark said and you imply, it was not at all clear that it was my new version of Waves Central that was the issue.

Oh well - that's ok. $22 won't break me. Let me delude myself that version 11 of those two are better and worth the money!

And I got I'm remixing done tonight on a song from last year. And beginning a new one that I'll get more time on before it's back to work on the 2nd.

(NOW - I wonder how long it will be until Waves support actually answers my emails!)

BillW

Post by BillW »

BTW - they did finally get back to me with suggestions on how to get the old versions of the plugins working. I saved the email in case I ever switch computers again (didn't read it thoroughly and it sounded more complex than simply installing the older version of Waves Central) - but the version 11s I upgraded to of course work.