Files lost when upgrade PC ?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

charschool

Files lost when upgrade PC ?

Post by charschool »

Hello there - I'm using both Mixcraft 6 and 8 on my Windows 7 PC,
which, unfortunately, has to be updated next month. Just wondering,
if I upgrade my PC to Windows 10 will my Mixcraft files be compromised
or damaged ? ? Also, I may just buy a new(used) PC with Windows 10.
Is there a way to transfer my Mixcraft files from old PC to new one ? ?
Appreciate any advice ! = = = Charley
Guaresneider

Re: Files lost when upgrade PC ?

Post by Guaresneider »

Windows Virtual PC is the latest Microsoft virtualization technology. You can use it to run more than one operating system at the same time on one computer, and to run many productivity applications on a virtual Windows environment, with a single click, directly from a computer running Windows 7... :)
heks

Post by heks »

If you can afford it, I'd instal a new ssd hard drive as C drive ,install a clean new Win 10 on it. Then you will have all your old data on the old drive. You can copy your Documents and any other files you want to the new drive which will be recognised when you reinstall your programs. After 20 years of doing this I've 9 drives in this Pc now, one is a system backup the rest are full of samples and copy,s of downloaded programs (which I was glad of when Camel went over to the dark side). :roll:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

charschool wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:34 pm Hello there - I'm using both Mixcraft 6 and 8 on my Windows 7 PC,
which, unfortunately, has to be updated next month. Just wondering,
if I upgrade my PC to Windows 10 will my Mixcraft files be compromised
or damaged ? ? Also, I may just buy a new(used) PC with Windows 10.
Is there a way to transfer my Mixcraft files from old PC to new one ? ?
Appreciate any advice ! = = = Charley
Hi,

Some people have Mixcraft projects with audio files from all over their computers. In other words, the audio files for a project are not in the project's folder. They might be in other folders or even on other drives. To make sure you don't leave any files behind when you move a project, load it into Mixcraft and choose "Copy Project Files to..." from the File menu. This option finds all the files that are being used in the project and puts them into a folder or zip file for easy transfer to the new computer.

Windows 10 shouldn't be a problem. You may need to download a driver for your sound device from the manufacturer's web page, depending on what you're using as a playback device.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101