advantage of step recorder

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

carllackey

advantage of step recorder

Post by carllackey »

what is the advantage of using the step recorder versus just painting in notes?
Anorax

Re: advantage of step recorder

Post by Anorax »

Some people like to play them in using a MIDI keyboard but aren't adept at rhythms.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, or let's say you were just learning how to play piano, or you can't play piano, and you want to record notes or chords from your MIDI keyboard at your own pace instead of having to keep up with the playback of the project.

For a while there, this was a huge request here on the user forums.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

Can I believe this?

I just upgraded and haven't played with 9 yet

But this is a dream come true!

Thank you!

Edit - for anyone who might not understand yet, this lets you enter the notes using the midi keyboard rather than point and click

C chord for example. Just play it. Rather than pointing on the three or more notes on the piano roll one at a time

Simple melody or riff? Play it without worrying about keeping up and editing

By the way, I assume this works for emulating drums or other percussion too
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
BillW

Post by BillW »

There is no doubt this feature is preferable to point/click I was doing before - or clumsy playing and mega - editing that made it not worthwhile.

But I can see I have to get used to the conceptual difference. Recording in small chunks since the timing / length of notes will certainly not all be the same. Still a lot of editing. You can change the duration of the notes easy enough but if I do I of course still have to move them into the right place. The offset feature on multi selected notes does that easy enough.

Nothing beats being able to play well! But in small steps this will still be a major time saver.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.