Newbie needs basic help - Latency

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RPSD

Newbie needs basic help - Latency

Post by RPSD »

I am new to digital recording although I've had Mixcraft for a number of years and have lurked the forum for years as well. I bought Focusrite Solo (first generation) a few years ago and now just trying to record. I'm frustrated because the dreaded latency seems unsolvable for me. The vocal track I add to an already recorded track lags a little, but just enough to sound terrible. I've tried optimizing the computer with no luck. I'll describe what I did shortly.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 3670
Intel Core i5-9400 CPU @2.90GHz
12 GB Ram
64 Bit OS
Running Windows 10

First thing I tried was to export Band-in-a-Box backing tracks into Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio and then record a vocal track. It lagged as described above. Next I tried to optimize as per instructions on video from focusrite for Windows 10. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlS7TMNtcR4]. Since I'm not the only one using the computer and it gets used for other purposes, I was concerned about messing it up so I wrote down all the changes I made and what the settings were originally. It didn't fix the problem and actually was worse to the extent there were now added clicks and skips. So, I went back and changed the setting to the way they were originally.

Next I tried recording just a guitar track and then added the the vocal track. Same problem - the vocal lagged. i then tried using a mixcraft drum track from the library and recorded a guitar track with a microphone. It lagged the drum track. I tried to record the guitar with the instrument input but the volume was barely audible - but that's another problem I will try to figure out if I can get them latency issue solved.

In preferences under Sound Device, the driver is set to Core Audio (WaveRT) which is the default. I've read from posts that are several years old people talking about using ASIO-for-All or some other ASIO driver but I read somewhere on more recent posts that Windows 10 works better with the WaveRT so I left it on that setting.

I'm holding out hope this is a simple fix that my inexperience prevents me from seeing, even though I doubt that is the case. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice to resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Richard
jlouvar

Re: Newbie needs basic help - Latency

Post by jlouvar »

Hello and welcome to the Mixcraft forum.
The old first generation Focusrite interfaces have a lot of legacy... I highly recommend upgrading to at least a 2nd gen interface. Also download and install the most current drivers for the interface from the Focusrite website and use ASIO.

I have a 2nd Gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface and this image is how my setup looks.
Attachments
101aPNG.PNG
101aPNG.PNG (185.27 KiB) Viewed 3462 times
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
RPSD

Post by RPSD »

Joe,
Thanks for the quick reply. So are you saying I have to buy a new audio interface (Focusrite - generation 2) to fix the problem?
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

You’re welcome Richard.
Yes, you need to upgrade to least a 2nd gen interface. The legacy with the first gen Focusrite interface is horrible. I upgraded from a 1st gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to a 2nd gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i4... Night and day difference.

PS: The added “Input/Playback” knob on my 2i4 interface really helps with getting a better volume level during recording. :wink:

Joe
Last edited by jlouvar on Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Using an audio interface is the best way to go, very difficult to record without one, doable but not optimal. There are lots of options out there, Focusrite is always a good choice but there are tons out there of varying quality and price.

M
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:14 pm Focusrite is always a good choice
except for the first generation, apparently :lol:

While I don't know if Mixcraft can zoom in close enough on the main timeline, you may be able to trim just enough of the latency off the front of the recording in the Sound tab by experimenting with moving the "Loop Start" point. Emphasis on may.
RPSD

Post by RPSD »

Thanks all for your thoughts. Has anyone else heard about this problem with Focusrite 1st generation?

I do realize I need to use an audio interface to make recordings. Focusrite (at the time) seemed to have high reviews. If this is problem they were having with gen 1, I would think they would want to offer a "fix." I think I'll reach out to them.

Maybe I'll give a try of clipping the main recording to match with the delayed one. Interesting idea, but it sounds kinda questionable if I can get it to match accurately.

Joe .... when you say "legacy," I assume you mean "latency." Is that right? Just wanted to make sure you're not using a term I'm not familiar with.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

RPSD wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:36 amJoe .... when you say "legacy," I assume you mean "latency." Is that right? Just wanted to make sure you're not using a term I'm not familiar with.
Yes latency, and yes the problem is well known, and no they won’t fix it... You need to upgrade to a 2nd gen or newer to solve the problem.
- Joe -

JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Let's not assume the problem is with the 1st gen Focusrite. There is plenty of evidence that it works fine with Mixcraft. For example, this post from trevlyns:

https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic. ... 03#p110489

Richard, have you downloaded the latest 1st gen drivers from Focusrite and selected ASIO in settings? What is your buffer size? Lower is better if your system can handle it. 256 works best for me. (Anything above 512 will have noticeable latency).
RPSD

Post by RPSD »

Thanks for the suggestions Jonlnc. Haven't tried those but will later today. I did update the focusrite drivers before on my previous computer, but this one is newer so i guess i should try that as well as selecting ASIO.

Using the WaveRT, doesn't give me the option to set the buffer size. When i plug in the focusrite, a notification pops up on my screen saying it is connected and lists the buffer at 256.

I don't want to spend the $ on a new interface if I don't have to. Looking forward to trying your suggestions first.
Thanks again!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Those are excellent suggestions - just keep in mind that if you set the latency too low, you'll get audio skipping or other undesirable audio issues. If playback is messed up, raise the buffers a bit.

With ASIO mode, click Open Mixer to find the buffer settings.

Low buffer settings = low latency.
High buffer settings = smoother playback and higher latency.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

JonInc wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:20 am Let's not assume the problem is with the 1st gen Focusrite. There is plenty of evidence that it works fine with Mixcraft. For example, this post from trevlyns:

https://forums.acoustica.com/viewtopic. ... 03#p110489

Richard, have you downloaded the latest 1st gen drivers from Focusrite and selected ASIO in settings? What is your buffer size? Lower is better if your system can handle it. 256 works best for me. (Anything above 512 will have noticeable latency).
Hmm, okay you may be right, but I originally read the 1st gen sucked so I upgraded to a 2nd gen and it solved the problem. However I just did some new searching and found that using 2nd gen drivers with the 1st gen 2i2/2i4/Solo interfaces may solve the problem... Also found an old tech support post (see below).
———————————-+-
16th August 2016

“Hi all,

We are currently in the process of adding support for the smaller 1st Generation Scarlett units (2i2, 2i4 & Solo) with our 2nd generation 4.x driver, hence why you were able to get the 2i2/2i4 working. Development is ongoing and we will announce official compatibility for these units in due course. Please note that the latency reporting for the 1st Generation devices is inaccurate at present so I would encourage not to read into these figures for the time being.

Best,
Jack // Focusrite Technical Support”.
————————————
So go to the Focusrite website and download/install the most current drivers for your interface and use ASIO... However if that doesn’t fix the latency problem, I recommend upgrading.
- Joe -

RPSD

Post by RPSD »

All great stuff! Can't wait to get home later to try the possible fixes. Thanks so much! :D
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

You’re welcome Richard, best wishes and let us know if you need more help.
- Joe -

RPSD

Post by RPSD »

I'm very happy to say... problem solved!!! Thank you all for your helpful, friendly and non-judgmental advice.

Now I just have learn to make decent sounding recordings.