Convert to midi

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Convert to midi

Post by BillW »

I have a relatively simple piano part in an audio file; I took it and broke it into smaller clips. I figured to help learn it I'd use the convert to midi feature.

I right click select convert to midi. After a while it comes back with "No notes were detected in the audio clip. Melodyne must be registered..."

I have V9 Pro Studio and I registered Melodyne.

Something else? Do I have to load Melodyne as an effect first?
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
BillW

Re: Convert to midi

Post by BillW »

OK - so I load Melodyne and it said I needed to activate (although I know I did) but I humored it and it said "activation updated". Then the conversion worked - sort of. It took a simple part that had chords and converted it to simply one note playing in time with the original.

So I assume it can't handle multi note audio at all - even though there are several single notes played int he short clip.

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Even a very simple guitar solo with distinct notes come back as one single note played in time with the original.

Has anyone used this feature successfully?

BillW

Post by BillW »

Last post for this - I took a bass line and it worked.

So I guess the problem with the guitar was the dynamics (the bends etc)

And the piano was the multiple notes (like a chord)

jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Mixcraft 9 Pro comes with Celemony Melodyne Essential, and I "think" you need to upgrade Melodyne to do that with chords.
Last edited by jlouvar on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have not messed with it Bill, but the version of Melodyne bundled with Mixcraft PS does not support polyphonic sounds.
Again, no personal experience, but I believe you must upgrade all the way up to the Editor version to enable that. And I suspect that even then I would expect errors.
Audio to midi conversion seems like a tough nut to crack to me. But I could be wrong.

I only use it for pitch correction, which IMO it does pretty well.....
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Sometimes Mekodyne detects a melodic line as percussive. In that case:

1. Select the audio clip and view it in Melodyne on the Sound tab.
2. Click on Melodyne's Algorithm menu and select Melodiic and allow Melodyne to re-scan.
3. Now right-click in the track view to convert the audio clip to MIDI.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

I'm giving up on the idea - but thanks for the responses.

No such thing as a free lunch. Running an audio file to convert to midi so I can lean the part seemed too good to be true. It only works on parts so simple there is no problem learning them without converting to midi. (On the Melodyne version that comes free.)

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

BillW wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:42 pm I'm giving up on the idea - but thanks for the responses.

No such thing as a free lunch. Running an audio file to convert to midi so I can lean the part seemed too good to be true. It only works on parts so simple there is no problem learning them without converting to midi. (On the Melodyne version that comes free.)
HI,

This suggestion will fix the problem if the issue is that the resulting MIDI clip just has the same note over and over (assuming you're starting with audio that's not that way):

1. Select the audio clip and view it in Melodyne on the Sound tab.
2. Click on Melodyne's Algorithm menu and select Melodiic and allow Melodyne to re-scan.
3. Now right-click in the track view to convert the audio clip to MIDI.

Greg

Melodic option on Algorithm menu in Melodyne
Melodic option on Algorithm menu in Melodyne
melodynealgorithmmelodic.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101