Splitting A Clip into Pieces

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gmpolin

Splitting A Clip into Pieces

Post by gmpolin »

When I split a clip into pieces (either audio or midi), and then I go to edit the pieces, I don't see a view of only the part I clipped. I still see the entire original clip, with the parts I cut away dimmed out.

I assume someone likes this. It has been this way since Mixcraft7, and then 8 and now 9. But it is driving me crazy, making the pieces hard to edit. I want to be working with a 4 bar phrase, for example, but instead, when I open it, I see the entire original piece (maybe 32 bars!), and the part I want is tiny in the editor and has to be sized and organized. It wastes a lot of time.

Can someone tell me why this works this way, and how possibly I can change this behaviour?

Thanks for any help with this.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Re: Splitting A Clip into Pieces

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It works this way because Mixcraft is a non-destructive editor. You can cut and paste as much as you want, and the original recording remains untouched.

Try this: select the clip and press Ctrl+W to make it into a new clip.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

What a relief! I never would have found that; I thought it was for taking something audio with effects and mixing it to a new clip.

Thanks for the quick help.

Glenn
lonestarguy

Post by lonestarguy »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:35 pm Hi,

It works this way because Mixcraft is a non-destructive editor. You can cut and paste as much as you want, and the original recording remains untouched.

Try this: select the clip and press Ctrl+W to make it into a new clip.

Greg
Greg, it seems like gmpolin is seeing that the Ctrl+W is making the split clip into a new stand alone clip with the rest of the clip removed? If so, it's not doing that for me. After the function, I can still expand to the original video. Thoughts? This whole splitting thing has been killing me, lol. Finally decided to look at the Forum.
Actually, the command is grayed out in the drop down... hmmm it's MP4 video.
OK, more... I'm using Ctrl+T to split and it splits but yea, then the Ctrl-W isn't a valid command.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We were discussing audio clips. You don't have those options with video clips.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
lonestarguy

Post by lonestarguy »

Oh shoot... ok. Thx
aj113

Post by aj113 »

I have never really used that editing pane in 10 years (maybe now and again for noise reduction). What can you do with it that you can't do by editing the clip itself in the project?
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

well you can warp a sound clip now (change the playback speed, and therefore timing, of certain parts of the clip), but that's about it.