Problem with Melodyne in Version 9 on a track that has been split

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gmpolin

Problem with Melodyne in Version 9 on a track that has been split

Post by gmpolin »

Hi,

When I attempt to use Melodyne in a track that has been split into (two) pieces, I get weird results trying to play it back inside the editor or place the cursor.

To replicate this, record any short audio track, say two bars, and split it in the middle, one bar each. To simplify, I made sure there were no notes ongoing at the split point.

Now go into each of the two one bar phrases; you can play the first bar back, and place the cursor. But in the second phrase, playback starts at a seemingly random spot no matter where you place the cursor and you can't play the bar back from the beginning.

I hope you can help with this.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Re: Problem with Melodyne in Version 9 on a track that has been split

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you using build 442?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Yes, 442.

Glenn
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

FWIW: I don't have that problem... Playback starts from wherever I place the start for either split clip I want to work on with Melodyne.
DAW: MX9 Pro, build 442.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

gmpolin wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:04 pm Now go into each of the two one bar phrases; you can play the first bar back, and place the cursor. But in the second phrase, playback starts at a seemingly random spot no matter where you place the cursor and you can't play the bar back from the beginning.
Hi,

I think I see what you're saying, but I was able to get it to play correctly by scrolling to the left in Melodyne and clicking in Melodyne's timeline to reset its playback cursor.

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Greg,

I am still having trouble with this, but I no longer think it particularly has to do with Melodyne. I think it has to do with clips of music that are shortened/cut from longer clips. I will try to explain.

I have a nine bar phrase (two pickup notes in the first bar, and then an eight-bar phrase. There are two extra blank bars in front of this I have taken out on the track timeline by shortening the clip. So as it sits on the track timeline, nine bars are showing.

Editing in the Piano Roll works as expected. When you hit the Play button in the Piano roll editor, it starts at the last place clicked on. It does that until you click on another place on the timeline. That works as I expect it to, and I think that is normal behaviour.

But I have been going back and forth between the Piano roll editor, and the Score Notation. In the Score notation, when I click on Bar 5 in the timeline, for example, and then press Play, it starts playing back at the first bar. If I then hit Stop and then hit Play Again, it will continue where it left off. That is different behavior than the piano roll editor. It also gets out of sync; it shows me the notation where I clicked while it plays different notes.

Please note that this doesn't happen with a "clean" phrase which wasn't cut from a larger phrase. It seems to only happen on shortened phrases, or phrases cut from longer pieces, which is my habit. This is the same behaviour I saw when in Melodyne; I clicked on the timeline to start at a certain point, and it seemed to ignore it.

NOTE: I did try to use Ctrl-W to make a new clean phrase, and that didn't work. It seemed to cut off part of the phrase at the end.

Greg, I tried to make this clear. Please ask any questions needed. I would like to document this, and get it fixed.

Glenn
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

So it happens with MIDI clips? Can you make a video of the problem?

Greg
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Remind me what tool people use to make a video of the screen.

Glenn
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

I want to say OBS Studio is a free program for doing this, but I haven't used it myself so I don't know what it's like.