Edit a midi file from default tempo to new tempo

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

conticreative

Edit a midi file from default tempo to new tempo

Post by conticreative »

I have been working on "Valerie" a MIDI file from Emy Winehouse's song.

The issue is that when I open it in Mixcraft, this is what I see in the song default:

210.00BPM - 4/4 - C

The tempo is OK, but the Key should be Eb. I can deal with that (I think).
The real issue is that from what I can see, the file uses double the number of bars than it should.
How do I know that? The entire song's groove seem to take 2 bars where one would be enough.

At the beginning, there is an empty bar and then a 4 count with a rimshot.
Well, those four beats span 2 bars instead of 1.

the song should be using 94 bars but instead it uses 188.

The result is that building a drum grove over the song is uselessly harder. So is playing a bass grove on it.

I have the feeling that the MIDI file should be carrying the correct tempo and key, but it doesn't.

If=deally, I'd like to set up the main key (Eb) without transposing ny of the current pitches, and cut the song in half or stretch each 2 bars into one.

I don't think mixcraft can do that, maye there is a MIDI editor that I can use to make the song play in the same key and speed but at 105BPM in Eb instead of 210BPM in C?

Any help would be appreciated.
amy_winehouse-valerie_feat_mark_ronson.mid
Valerie
(26.22 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Acoustica Greg

Re: Edit a midi file from default tempo to new tempo

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did you try just changing the project tempo to 105? That seems to work for me.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

I downloaded the file and find its already in eb and 4/4 time signature. You need to change to 4/2 time signature so that the number of measures (bars) will half. You now have 8 quarter notes per measure instead of 4 thus requiring half the number of measures. I changed it and here is a new midi file in Eb and 4/2. What makes you think it should be 94 bars ? is it the empty bar at the beggining because that is a 1 bar count-in and normal for loads of music, it has no bearing on the music that follows, the drum track has a 4 beat count-in the same as an empty measure on track 1 and kicks everything off from measure 2.
If you need a editor download Musescore 3, this is what I used, its free and excellent.
ts.PNG
ts.PNG (5.88 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
https://musescore.org/en/3.0
Valerie.zip
(3.07 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
conticreative

Post by conticreative »

Thanks guys. I imported directly into Mixcraft and I have done it plenty of times. For me it always came in in 4/4 and C, in the main score and in each individual track.
My guess is that Mixcraft had issues with this file because other MIDIs I had were recognized in the right key and tempo (I tried a 6/8 and a 3/4 to make sure.

As far as the number of bars, I was aware the first bar was empty, but the next two each contained a 2 beats of a 4/4. I don't know about anyone else but when I count I use beat 1, 2,3 and 4 in the same bar.
My bars calculation was rough, admittedly, but I wanted the end result to be approximately half the number of bars displaying in my DAW.
For the record, I also imported it into Sonar, with the same result.
I don't use Mixcraft often, I use Studio One 4, but since I am trying to share my arrangements with my daughter in Seattle, I had to choose a DAW not quite as expensive. I already had a copy of Mixcraft and I bought one for her so we can bounce songs with one another (plus Mixcraft is a lot easier to use than Studio One.

I also want to come clean with the time measure: Instead of changing it to 4/2 I changed it to 2/4, which was idiotic. It has been a long time since music school.

Also, for Greg, indeed I changed the tempo to 105, both in the main score and in each track. All I got was a very slooow and drunk "Valerie".

Thank you for the Musescore tip. I think I used it once, but forgot about it. I'll download it and try it out.

Thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.