Lane Automation Question?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

squeakie

Lane Automation Question?

Post by squeakie »

I’m using Philharmonik 2 in Multitimbral mode with MixCraft 9 Pro. I’ve set up several lanes, and I have each lane assigned to the appropriate midi channel. I adjusted the volume automation on one lane, and it seems to affect other lanes as well, even though the other lanes show no automation adjustments. Is this correct? Can lanes be independently automated with a VST running in a Multitimbral set up?

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Anorax

Re: Lane Automation Question?

Post by Anorax »

I'm not familiar with multitimbral plugins, I'm going to make an assumption that you have one instrument track with many lanes, each one having its own midi channel to feed Philharmonik. What volume parameter are you using, specifically, when you try adjust the volume?
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

One instance of the VST with multiple lanes each assigned to the proper midi channel is how I’m using it. The volume setting I’m adjusting is just a simple fade for a part. Nothing more than adding a few points and dragging down the curve. I ended up having to use another VST for that string part, and the volume automation worked fine with it. I’m wondering if it’s another complication with MixCraft and IK Multimedia’s software.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That's the way it has always worked with MIDI clip automation and lanes: the clip automation on one clip affects all the clips. This is because of the way that MIDI works - there's no audio until the virtual instrument creates the audio. You're just sending a stream of Note On and Note Off commands to the virtual instrument, and if there's a volume change sent, it affects all the Note On and Note Off messages that follow, even if they are from different lanes.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

Thanks for the reply Greg. I’ll just run a separate instance of parts that require independent automation.

Sqk