Takes To Tracks

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

DavidMcKnight

Takes To Tracks

Post by DavidMcKnight »

I love being able to set a loop point and record multiple takes over and over. Is there a way to select the takes in the lanes of a track and have them splay out to their own tracks? I know I can do this manually but I wonder if I'm missing a more automatic way of doing this.
MX 9 Pro, 64-bit. DIY PC w/ i5, Gigabyte Mobo, 16GB, Windows 10. DIY desk from HomeStudioGuy. Behringer 1820. M-Audio LX-4 monitors. Dyna-Bass 5-string. Strat w EMGs. Seagull acoustic. R0de NT1-A, Behringer C2. M-Audio controller. 27 miles of cable.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Takes To Tracks

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There's no option to do this. How would you want the clips arranged on the new tracks?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
DavidMcKnight

Post by DavidMcKnight »

Basically, the takes would not move at all horizontally they would just occupy their own track, an exact duplicate of the main track they were recorded on.

So if there were ten takes recorded, with an Expand To Tracks feature they would expand to ten tracks, each track setup with the same fx and properties as the track the takes came from.

Somewhere in my noggin I thought Vegas did this but perhaps not. They do some other types of manipulation of takes vs. tracks vs. events across time (not saying MX should work like Vegas).

Conversely, I'm open to learning how others deal with multiple takes to comp a track.
MX 9 Pro, 64-bit. DIY PC w/ i5, Gigabyte Mobo, 16GB, Windows 10. DIY desk from HomeStudioGuy. Behringer 1820. M-Audio LX-4 monitors. Dyna-Bass 5-string. Strat w EMGs. Seagull acoustic. R0de NT1-A, Behringer C2. M-Audio controller. 27 miles of cable.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

DavidMcKnight wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 pm Basically, the takes would not move at all horizontally they would just occupy their own track, an exact duplicate of the main track they were recorded on.

So if there were ten takes recorded, with an Expand To Tracks feature they would expand to ten tracks, each track setup with the same fx and properties as the track the takes came from.
Yes, agreed. I use the loop feature a lot and it's a ballache to move everything to its own track afterwards. Although instead of duplicating, I would prefer to simply move the takes to a track. I can't think of any instance where I would want the original lane clip to remain in the project.

Greg, one reason it's a ballache is because when you select multiple clips in lanes after inserting the appropriate number of new tracks, then move the the clips up or down with the keyboard arrow keys to get them to their new tracks, the MC project window focus jumps so that the the clips are actually out of view. So "blind", you have to hit the down (or up) arrow the number of times you think is correct to get the clips in the right tracks. I have always wondered if this is a bug. Shouldn't the window focus remain on the clips you are moving?
DavidMcKnight

Post by DavidMcKnight »

aj113 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:40 am Although instead of duplicating, I would prefer to simply move the takes to a track. I can't think of any instance where I would want the original lane clip to remain in the project.
I only meant that properties of the original track - FX, settings, etc - would be duplicated. I agree it should not include the original lane clip.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We'd never considered a feature like that, because we assumed that most of the takes wouldn't be used. The idea was that you would be playing the riff over and over until you got something you liked, and then you'd use that one take, or maybe a couple of them at most. Not that you would keep them all and put them on different tracks.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

I can only speak for myself but no, that's not how I use it. Multiple takes are done each one on a separate track. Sometimes I'll set a lop up so that a part can be learned, but the actual takes are done on separate tracks.

The multiple lanes are use almost exclusively for layered backing vocals. They are an absolute boon for that purpose. You can build up a 32-part multi-layered backing vocal section in no time at all. But moving them to new tracks afterwards is...well, it's not a deal breaker, but it does create an unnecessary bottleneck in the workflow.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I logged this as a feature suggestion.

Greg
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Hi,

For now if you made the extra empty tracks ahead of time and then recorded your multiple takes, you can highlight and down arrow the takes into the new tracks pretty quickly.

-Nathan
aj113

Post by aj113 »

bigaquarium wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:10 pm Hi,

For now if you made the extra empty tracks ahead of time and then recorded your multiple takes, you can highlight and down arrow the takes into the new tracks pretty quickly.

-Nathan
That's what I do already. As explained above, the project window focus shifts when you do that, so you have to do it 'blind'.