Probably a n00b question, but that is exactly what I am!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

greenteaisgreat

Probably a n00b question, but that is exactly what I am!

Post by greenteaisgreat »

Hey everyone, long time user of Mixcraft, but only sporadically. I'll start to get familiar with it and then I'll go a year or so without using it again and I'll forget everything I learned. I have a condenser microphone that's phantom powered (48V) that I connect to my Mbox2 and thus into Mixcraft. The issue I'm coming across is that when I connect the Mbox2, it takes precedence over my computer's sound card. How do I make it to where I'm able to hear the recordings I make via my computer speakers? Is there any way to get both sound cards to be running actively and put both of the signals to my computer speakers or do they need to operate independent of each other?

Thank you! Hopefully that made sense.
geobee

Re: Probably a n00b question, but that is exactly what I am!

Post by geobee »

Hi there, not too sure what that device is that you mention, but it sounds like it could be an interface. If so, all you need to do is click on preferences in Mixcraft and select the unit as the record and playback device, that should then override the inbuilt sound card allowing you to do everything via the external device. If you don't have a set of monitor speakers, that could be an issue, as the interface will have output sockets that are meant to connect to an amp to drive the monitors, or directly to them if they are powered, which many of us tend to use. If you don't have monitor speakers, I think you will have to keep reverting back to your internal sound card to playback recordings. Not an expert here, but I think I follow your issue.
greenteaisgreat

Post by greenteaisgreat »

geobee, yes! Thank you!! That perfectly answers everything I needed to know. I knew I was going to have to get monitors at some point or another, but didn’t really consider it to be a necessity. Switching back and forth from the interface to my computer’s speakers is exactly what I had to do in the past, thanks for refreshing my memory. The Mbox2 is pretty dated at this point, so it is a bit of a relic these days, I think :lol:
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi again, maybe this could be a short term solution, but most interfaces have headphone output sockets, that will allow you to hear playback until you can get monitor speakers, without doing the old switch around.