New Video - Setting up for Recording

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bigaquarium

New Video - Setting up for Recording

Post by bigaquarium »

Hello again,

This episode covers some of the ways to get Mixcraft ready for recording, including the audio interface, audio files and directories, recording levels, and the like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXb25O2vktw

- Nathan
Acoustica Greg

Re: New Video - Setting up for Recording

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for making this!

A couple of things:

1. If you haven't saved yet, your recordings aren't going to the temp folder, they are going to a folder with a name like "Mixcraft 9 Project 42" inside your default project folder location (set in Recording preferences as shown in the video). Edited to add: when you save for the first time, that very same folder is just renamed to whatever you named your saved project file.

Side note: periodically I get tech support inquiries from customers who've set their default project folder to be their desktop, and then they wonder why they keep having new folders appear there.

2. The option to delete unused files only takes effect if you've never saved the project at all. After you've saved it even once, the unused files won't be deleted. We try to err on the side of preserving the recordings.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Hi Greg,

Oops, I'll have to fix that. I missed the .MPK file extension in the temp directory. What are those for anyway?

- Nathan
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Those are peak files. The first time you load an audio file, Mixcaft analyzes it and creates a temp file for faster loading next time. If you delete those files, projects will initially take longer to load (until new .mpk files are created).

Greg
Pthetitan

Post by Pthetitan »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:28 am Hi,

Thanks for making this!

A couple of things:

1. If you haven't saved yet, your recordings aren't going to the temp folder, they are going to a folder with a name like "Mixcraft 9 Project 42" inside your default project folder location (set in Recording preferences as shown in the video). Edited to add: when you save for the first time, that very same folder is just renamed to whatever you named your saved project file.

Side note: periodically I get tech support inquiries from customers who've set their default project folder to be their desktop, and then they wonder why they keep having new folders appear there.

2. The option to delete unused files only takes effect if you've never saved the project at all. After you've saved it even once, the unused files won't be deleted. We try to err on the side of preserving the recordings.

Greg
I always wondered about this. If I save my projects to different project folders, can I then delete the "Mixcraft 9 Project #" folders that are automatically created to save space? Or are my saved projects still referencing those files?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Pthetitan wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:25 am I always wondered about this. If I save my projects to different project folders, can I then delete the "Mixcraft 9 Project #" folders that are automatically created to save space? Or are my saved projects still referencing those files?
Hi,

Maybe, maybe not. It depends upon what you've been up to. If you want to make sure you grab every single file used in a project when you move it, select "Copy Project Files to..." from the File menu.

Greg