Video - Overlap of less than 1 sec seems to not work

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

lonestarguy

Video - Overlap of less than 1 sec seems to not work

Post by lonestarguy »

I was doing a 4 sec duration on each still photo with a 1 sec overlay. Felt it was going too fast so thought I'd try a faster fade in/out but when I select what I think to be 1/2 sec for the Overlap, there is no overlap... the pics just bump end to end. Thoughts?

Also, is there a standard for duration? I mean aside from some custom tweaking and as long as transitions are timed with music as one desires...

Thx
lonestarguy

Re: Video - Overlap of less than 1 sec seems to not work

Post by lonestarguy »

OK got it! using milliseconds not 10ths... sorry for the false alarm.

Still curious about any standard duration for a 'slide show' type thing...
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Good morning,

I do a ton of video with Mixcraft (including stills), and you will notice a difference in how Mixcraft behaves when your video RAM allotment gets full and it starts going to disk instead. Sometimes the preview screen will get jumpy, and the previews won't show up in the text overlay boxes, and certain operations will get slow. However, when you actually render the video it turns out fine. When I upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 16GB a month ago and bumped up the available video RAM, it made a huge performance difference working with video and also loading large sample libraries.

I've also found that copy/paste sometimes causes Mixcraft to ignore the crossfades so when that happens I just import a fresh image and that usually fixes it.

Best,

Nathan
lonestarguy

Post by lonestarguy »

bigaquarium wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:58 am Good morning,

I do a ton of video with Mixcraft (including stills), and you will notice a difference in how Mixcraft behaves when your video RAM allotment gets full and it starts going to disk instead. Sometimes the preview screen will get jumpy, and the previews won't show up in the text overlay boxes, and certain operations will get slow. However, when you actually render the video it turns out fine. When I upgraded my RAM from 8GB to 16GB a month ago and bumped up the available video RAM, it made a huge performance difference working with video and also loading large sample libraries.

I've also found that copy/paste sometimes causes Mixcraft to ignore the crossfades so when that happens I just import a fresh image and that usually fixes it.

Best,

Nathan
Thanks Nathan. Yea, to explain on the overalpping, I was only entering 5 in the time window, not 500. Of course, as 5 ms overlap won't be visible, lol. Bur I do appreciate the other info as I am surely seeing jumpiness during playback during development, esp of MP4 clips. I did render it once and you're right, it came out fine. I'll have to look into my RAM and video card situation (I'm told my card is a bit old) if I plan do to much more of this.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Also be sure you're using 64-bit Mixcraft and not 32-bit Mixcraft. People commonly run out of RAM trying to processed video in 32-bit Mixcraft.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

lonestarguy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:09 am Thanks Nathan. Yea, to explain on the overalpping, I was only entering 5 in the time window, not 500. Of course, as 5 ms overlap won't be visible, lol. Bur I do appreciate the other info as I am surely seeing jumpiness during playback during development, esp of MP4 clips. I did render it once and you're right, it came out fine. I'll have to look into my RAM and video card situation (I'm told my card is a bit old) if I plan do to much more of this.
No problem! Except for text, I just do crossfades by overlapping the clips in the video track itself, the more the clips overlap the longer the fade. I’ll either use a solid black image file or the brightness automation to fade to/from black.

If you have the Intel HD integrated video there’s a lot of information out there on how to reallocate more RAM for video use.

Best,

Nathan