Indefinite Sustain

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

I6son

Indefinite Sustain

Post by I6son »

Is there a way in Mixcraft 8 Pro to get an indefinite sustain? You know, the Tom Shulz sound from "More Than A Feeling"?
Mark Bliss

Re: Indefinite Sustain

Post by Mark Bliss »

Not sure what the intent is, but assuming you are talking guitar affect-

On the first two records, long before DAW's, Tom used a chain of guitar processing that began with a high output pickup, into a cranked 50 watt Marshall amp with an attenuator on the output that allows one to get both high output tube amp sounds at lower volumes, but has some significant dynamic compression effect. He then heavily eq'd with some big boost at 800hz, into an overdrive effect. Then eq'd the output with more mid boost. Somewhere in there was a wah pedal just set near the middle as a filter that added even more mids. Then the combination of chorus etc. To create a "signature" sound. In solo it would actually probably be obnoxiously nasal and harsh. In context with some recording tricks and lots of layering, it worked pretty well.

More directly to the question, If you are asking about guitar effects, I would say no, there isnt anything like that. But I would add that adding that isnt likely the best approach. Getting the desired sound recorded would be far more desirable.

But in general, long sustained sounds can be produced in a number of ways. Reverbs with little distinct reflection, but artificially long tails for example. Some digital delays can also create similar long sustains as well.

Not a well defined question.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
I6son

Post by I6son »

That's really what I was wondering. I have a friend with a sustain switch on his guitar that goes on indefinitely but I was wondering if I could get it out of MC. Apparently not to the degree that Shulz does. Thanks for your input. The research that I did on Shulz came up with the same thing pretty much what you said. I don't have the resources
carllackey

Post by carllackey »

if you have guitar rig you can duplicate the "boston sound" with a couple of amp settings and a sustainer.