Anyone willing to do a "pro" mixcraft session

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ouchris

Anyone willing to do a "pro" mixcraft session

Post by ouchris »

I'd love for a mixcraft pro to take a look at something I've recorded and say, "oh, if you do this, this, this, and this" it will sound way better. Possibly even certain features I never use.

I'd been using mixcraft since 6, and just the last year realized how to do a Master Track - :D

Anyone willing to do a skype screen/share session for fun?
jlouvar

Re: Anyone willing to do a "pro" mixcraft session

Post by jlouvar »

Just a suggestion... I’m not a pro, but maybe post a link to the recording so the professionals can hear the song before deciding to get involved with your project or not?
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
ouchris

Post by ouchris »

Fair enough.

Here's something I did recently. A friend said he liked the overall melody, but that it sounded "synthy" due to using MIDI. I said, "yea duh it's midi instruments."

I could use some tips on how to make them sound more "real".

https://soundcloud.com/ouchris/got_original/s-mZiEU
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi, had a listen, but there are some ''issues'' there that you may need to have a look at. The overall sound appears to be clipping into the red for most of the recording, making the stringed instrument sound distorted. Maybe that's what you were aiming for, I don't know. The drum beats are off the money in several places. I think you may need some more recording experience before we can be talking about ''pro'' sessions. Sorry, but I can only go on what this recording sounds like to my ears, and to be honest, it needs a lot more work. Only time and more recording sessions will get you there. As for tips on getting it better, you will need to get the recording levels right, and the drum beat timing also. These two things will get you on the way somewhat. Practice, practice and more. I have over 45 years studio experience, and I am still learning every time I go into my studio. If I wasn't, I would get bored with it. Cheers. Geoff
ouchris

Post by ouchris »

HI,

I fixed the mixing issue. No more red clipping. I also fixed the beat/timing of each instrument. As far as I can tell, or to the best of my ability, it's 100% in sync now (ok maybe 99?).

Please give another listen and see how it sounds now.

If you have other comments, it would be great if you could timestamp where you think there's still an issue.

new link: https://soundcloud.com/user-733868980/g ... al/s-44EVv
geobee

Post by geobee »

Ok, that's sounds a lot better. The ''cello'', if that's what I am hearing, sounds very deep, maybe you need to add some other strings of a higher octave or something to balance things out a bit. That way, they will complement each other, and stop it from sounding ''muddy''. Overall, much better effort.
ouchris

Post by ouchris »

OK I'll look at adding some higher notes as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, my original intent of the message was not that I was ready to be a "pro", rather I was looking for a "pro" to help me. I only record a few songs a year. It's fun, but time consuming. Each time I learn a little bit more.

A few areas I need to get better at are mixing and mastering in general. I can't seem to get the levels right. I either have to turn the instruments way down to prevent clipping or turn the instruments up and the master volume down. That usually happens when I add master level EQ and compressors and such.

Thanks again for your feedback.

p.s. do you have a soundcloud or any links to your tracks?
outteh

Post by outteh »

Try moving the Cello notes up one octave, as long as it doesn't destroy your overall intent. Also, there are several free helpful courses/sites that provide mixing instruction. I'm sure some of the other folks out there can chime in with some course instruction sites! :D

Try this old post for some links

https://forums.acoustica.com/viewto ... 2&t=10468
mick

Post by mick »

Can you send the midi file ?
ouchris

Post by ouchris »

To be honest, I like the sound. I would not change anything other than maybe add a higher octave cello or violin or a few extra sounds just for flare.

Mick, here is a link to the project: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTteWI ... sp=sharing
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'm far from pro, but I like the sound too. I sense tension and suspense.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
mick

Post by mick »

I tweaked it here and there mostly using compressor and reverb from older Mixcraft versions, I would have used tone boosters plugins in M9 but it looks like your on Mixcraft 6. Its a standard type 1 midi file (multi track, type 0 is single track) and not a Mixcraft 9 project so it should open O.K. The sfozando track is now Acoustica percusion bass drum. The midi is in a zip file. If you don't like it no doubt it will go in the bin so that's O.K. 8)
New midi file.zip
(6.19 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
ouchris

Post by ouchris »

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I went through and really spruced it up with EQ and compressors on each instrument. I added a violin and a chorus section.

I think it's really come together and this is definitely the best version so far. Here's a link to the latest track.

https://soundcloud.com/user-733868980/g ... theme-song